Betrayal

I gently closed the door behind me. I couldn't stop my tears anymore. The moment I left, the tears I held for so long, were now rolling down my cheeks, falling to my jaw. I couldn't move an inch. I couldn't even stop the tears from coming. There were more and more and- I'm so pathetic.

I was just standing right in front of the principal's office, crying. All I could feel was regret. I didn't even know what I was regretting for, at the moment. The voice in my head preoccupied my mind. Telling me I need to stop crying. To wipe those tears off. To get going. To go wash my face. To get away from here. Stop it, Evelyn. Stop! Stop looking pathetic. Stop looking pitiful. Stop blaming yourself.

But I couldn't do any of this. In my entire life, I've never felt this miserable.

It's a good thing, class has started, not too long ago. If anyone were to see me like this I would be so ashamed. Guess, I'm skipping class today too.

I tried my best to shake off myself from all the thoughts, but it didn't help. Until I probably realised I was really, still standing in front of the principal's office. I could still manage to hear the voices coming from inside of it.

I couldn't help but try to overhear their conversation.

"... She was there at the same time I was, so it doesn't count, right? I mean, there was an option to bring one person with you, so you should consider her being that one person I brought if someone..." The words I heard. The words said from... From the one that was accusing me a minute ago. From him.

Wait. What's his point? What is he doing? One minute he's accusing me, so arrogantly at that, and the other is trying to defend me? Clear my name? What is happening? Should I just go in and interfere?

"I didn't take it the serious way, anyway. Don't worry. And now that you're asking me like that..." That's the principal's voice! Oh my god. Is this for real?

I don't know if I should be happy or super angry and mad, right now. These people are driving me crazy.

"We won't expel her." It's Mr Jenkins! I've always loved her, but her attitude back there didn't match her words now.

I stepped a bit closer to the door, so I could hear their words better. Literally eavesdropping. God, please forgive me about that. I apologise for my behaviour, truly. But, at the time, I felt like my life depended on it.

"Indeed. So don't worry Mr Wilson." The principal added.

This feels so deep. Like imagine how all the teachers are actually obeying this fucker. This is so messed up.

"Thank you so much, everyone." He said. He's saying everyone, as if they're his besties.

"But why are you holding on to this girl? If you don't like her, we could have gotten her expelled a long time ago." That was Mrs Campbell's voice. I couldn't get her voice confused.

I... I decided it's best for me to move away from the door now. I don't think I want to hear any more of this.

For Mrs Campbell to say this... This must be very serious. Like his whole figure in the view of the school's body.

I don't think I would be able to get her words off my head, now. Even if they decide for me to stay now...
I think I'll just change schools.

I'm a nobody here.

He is acting like a total spoiled brat, so his parents must be rich too. His dad is probably the owner of the school or something. Or he's a doctor, that's saved their lives or... Or-

The door of the principal's office opened. Mrs Jenkins and Mrs Campbell left the office.

Phew. Good thing I stayed at the other side of the door, so when they open it, it's hiding me.

From there on they went their separate ways. How did Mrs Campbell said something so harsh, when she acted so sweet around me? I still, can't get over what I heard from her. I didn't care for anything else. That woman was like a saint to me-

Gosh. I'm so fucking pathetic. Please, don't cry again, Evelyn. You just stopped a while ago. How can I be so naive? Like that freak said, too. He's right. He'a right about everything he said-

The door, next to me opened once again. This time it was him.

Oh my gosh, please don't come this way. Please, don't come this way. Please, don't come this way. Please don't-

Of course he did come this way! Fuck.

The moment he turned my way, he stopped immediately when he saw me. I hope I startled him.

Why didn't you go away and hide, you dumb bitch?

But now was not the time for this. I should focus on ways of how to escape an awkward conversation. This would be the first thing to do, once I get home. I'll search for any ways to save me from-

"You heard everything, didn't you?" He asked. He's sharp.

I couldn't help, but stand there silently, looking into his eyes.

From people's perspective we may look like young students, looking at each other, making eye contact, as if falling in love and stuff, but in my case I just thought of a way to slap him, turn around and run for my life.

Can I do that? Please? I wanna do that so badly!

"Um-" He tried to say something, but I finally replied.

"Not at all." I said fast.

"Tell me what you heard." He said, insisting.

"I told you, I didn't hear anything." I said a bit irritated.

"You did hear something." He added back.

"Why are you insisting? Believe me, I really didn't!" I told him once again.

I don't want to continue this conversation, anymore.

He went silent for a moment. He looked me in the eyes. He bit his lower lip, then gently released it, as if contemplating on his next sentence.

"How can I?" He said, looking straight into my soul. That's just bothersome.

"What?" I asked confused. What is this guy talking about?

"How can I believe you anymore? How? When you just betrayed me like that." He asked back, hurt.

What is he trying to say? Blaming it all on me, I see.

"Betrayed you? What are you talking about?" I asked. I'm seriously confused, but confused about this guy's mental health condition.

"Yesterday, my intentions were- No. Back there, I-
Fuck. Just forget it." He shook his head, while he covered his eyes with one hand.

The moment his body started moving as if to go away I said: "No, wait." He turned back to face me again.

"You didn't answer me, you asshole." I added. He scoffed a little.

"You know what, Emerson? I know you heard our conversation. Just take this as a lesson to take people seriously and not betray them." He said. I snapped at the words.

"A lesson? Are you fucking kidding me? So, that's like a joke to you? Making a silly, little prank. To me, it felt like bullying! Do you know just how I felt back there? No! You know nothing! And also, what's with this bullshit? Betraying? We are not some middle school besties, for us to betray each other, but then make up. I don't like you! So get out of my sight and don't bother me, Wilson!" I said everything I wanted. I even huffed a little at all the things I said at once.

"Chill." Was the only thing he had to say, after my speech. This guy's seriously ridiculous!

"Don't tell me to chill. See you never, scumbag." I said and turned around to go.

I somehow fell so light-weighted now, that I said everything to him in his face. Like, let him have of his own medicine. I seriously feel so much better now.