☁︎04

Baek Dayeon was feeling like a nervous wreck

Baek Dayeon was feeling like a nervous wreck. Today was the day of the tryouts for the school's track team and she'd been excited for it. You see, Dayeon wasn't necessarily excelling in her studies. No, It was more like her studies were excelling in making her lose her mind. 

It was on one random Tuesday that she discovered that she didn't totally suck at sports, mainly at track events. All this time she was always too lazy to be involved and participate in any sports until her gym teacher pointed it out. 

She had to admit, it felt good to be good at something. And so, she started to put in a little effort in track events, even winning a few medals for it.

The sun was out despite it being so early. She could feel the cool wind hitting her skin as she let out a nervous sigh. There weren't a lot of people trying out for the track team but she knew the competition would be tough especially since there was only one spot left for the team. 

Dayeon figured she would have a good chance of getting the spot unless a certain Japanese black-haired boy with the last name of Nishimura decided to try out for the spot. But he's expressed his dislike in joining the track events multiple times so it almost impossible. 

Unfortunately for everyone, especially her, he was outstanding at everything he did. 

It was like he was naturally blessed; from being blessed with an over-attractive face (even though she would never like to admit it aloud), to being blessed with obnoxiously long legs which contributed greatly to his height. 

He's even blessed with brains, making him significantly excel in his studies. She was sure that if they had a normal friendship like every other, she might've even had a small crush on him. But the man simply couldn't keep his mouth shut and his comments to himself. 

She didn't understand how he still had so many friends and admirers, but it made sense as he only acted this way towards her and not anybody else. Whenever she tried to talk about it to the other students, they would furrow their eyebrows and ask her if this was the same Riki who always helped the teachers and was a joy to be around. 

As time went on, Dayeon just learned to ignore his whole existence knowing that it would be pointless to compete with him since he seemed to have everybody wrapped around his fingers anyway. 

As of today, she was in a good mood, mainly because yesterday went well for Harin and Taki. 

She wanted to text Riki about how well the plan went but felt like it would be crossing the imaginary boundary they had between them. After all, they weren't even friends and probably would never be. They just happened to be working together for the sake of their friends.

Knowing Riki, he'd get a big head over it and start acting even more egotistical if that was even possible. Dealing with an egotistical Riki was the last thing she wanted. 

The brown-haired girl was too busy to even notice a familiar face stepping onto the track. He gave a polite smile to the teacher before joining a small group of people who were stretching. 

The positive smile she had on her immediately vanished. It was as if someone had rained all over her parade. More like stomped and trampled around it, destroying everything she worked so hard for. 

A satisfied smirk made its way to the boy's face seeing how surprised she looked. In actuality, He didn't plan on coming here to try out for the team. He just wanted to skip the first few lessons of the day without getting in trouble so when he heard that they had tryouts today, he jumped at the chance. 

Dayeon furrowed her eyebrows and balled her fists. Oh, she was fuming. He just had to show up and ruin everything for her. Without even thinking, she furiously stormed over to him. 

"I feel quite nervous for the tryout," he let out a sigh, continuing to stretch. 

"Why are you even here?" It took everything in her not to smack him into oblivion right then and there.

The boy didn't even turn to look at her. "To try out, of course,"

"But you don't even enjoy track," 

"And so? Worried that I'll take the spot without even trying?" he smiled smugly, now towering over her. 

Despite the big height difference and his attempt to make her feel intimidated, Dayeon didn't waver. At that moment, she could feel herself despise him even more now. And the worst part was that she knew he was right. He could take that spot without even trying.

He wasn't even wearing the appropriate attire for running; he was wearing a dark green hoodie with a white t-shirt underneath along with light blue jeans. 

The teacher then called the students to gather around so she could do a roll call before starting the tryouts. Still fuming, Dayeon had no choice but to follow the teacher's instruction, not before harshly bumping into Riki's shoulder and giving him a sharp glare before walking away. 

She took a few deep breaths to calm herself down. There was no way she was gonna waste her energy on someone like Riki. She had been training extremely hard for this and so there was no way she was gonna let anybody take that spot from her, especially not Nishimura Riki. She was not gonna lose to him again.