☁︎14

Baek Dayeon woke up a nervous wreck

Baek Dayeon woke up a nervous wreck. She didn't even know why the whole thing was making her so nervous. She didn't even like Nishimura Riki so why was she feeling so tense and on edge? It was an unfortunate accident that couldn't have been avoided. Right.

The worst part was even after that happened, she stupidly forgot to take her phone from him. She didn't even realize she forgot to take her phone, their little peck invading her mind all night. 

 It was even a miracle she managed to wake up without her many alarms today as Dayeon was the type to take her time getting ready, thus waking up about 2 and a half hours earlier. 

She took a deep breath before entering the school. Her hands felt clammy for some reason as she took her time walking to class. She truly dreaded going to class but she had no choice. After cursing the universe for always complicating her life, she stepped into the class.

Knowing what a big mouth Riki was, she hoped he didn't tell anyone what had happened yesterday. The last thing she needed was their whole year finding out about whatever the hell happened. She could feel Riki's gaze bore into hers and she walked towards her seat. She began unpacking her back when she saw the boy slide something on her table.

"You left before before I could give it to you," said Riki, trying not to stutter as she picked up her phone. Unlike Dayeon who was having the dilemma of her life, he decided it was best to turn a blind eye to the fact that they kind of kissed yesterday. 

"Oh, thanks," she simply replied, unintentionally sounding awkward. She mentally cursed herself for sounding so tense and awkward. She wished she could've remembered to bring a charger, as her phone battery would've already been dead by now. 

However, she raised a brow in puzzlement seeing her phone already charged fully. 

"I charged it for you," said the boy, giving her a small polite smile. He debated whether to joke about how early her alarm was, I mean, school started at 8:30 and her alarm kept ringing by 6AM. 

Dayeon felt her heart racing faster at how considerate he was, never mind the fact that her lock screen was now his stupidly handsome face. It took everything in her to fight the small grin that was making its way to her lips. 

He seemed to be interacting with her normally, with no awkwardness whatsoever from what happened yesterday and she was glad. All she wanted for now was to forget that meaningless kiss that happened and focus on playing cupid (and her studies, of course).

Riki then excused himself outside as Taki was waiting for him so they could go buy a snack before class started. His thoughts then wandered to the exchange he had with Dayeon minutes prior. 

He thanked God his nerves didn't get the best of him. All morning, he woke up feeling he was jittery. 

Even when Taki asked him why he was in such deep thought, he could feel his cheeks turn a shade of crimson red. It wasn't a big deal so why did it matter so much? 

He brushed away his insignificant thoughts, wanting nothing but to focus on his match tomorrow night. They had been training for weeks and he wasn't going to let his mindless overthinking distract him. 

When Taki informed him that he finally got the courage to invite Harin to their match tomorrow, he felt a sense of proudness of his dear friend, jokingly hitting the older's back in achievement. Riki then began contemplating whether he should invite Dayeon to come too.

It wasn't like the match wasn't open for all the students to watch but he intended it to have a small significance if he asked her, seeing as she had never once come to watch a match despite her big interest in sports.

Additionally, he certainly didn't want Harin to feel lonely (that was visibly an excuse). And if their team won, which he was 90% certain they would, an afterparty would usually be thrown to celebrate, making it a perfect excuse for them to hangout— them meaning Harin and Taki of course, certainly not Riki's excuse to be around Dayeon. 

So, he began watching her closely throughout the day, waiting for the perfect time to ask when she was alone. It seemed almost impossible because she was always by Harin's side. 

He noticed that they even go to the restroom together. One thing he never understood was why girls went in pairs or groups, wondering if they had a mini cinema inside there or something. 

Regardless, Riki finally managed to catch Dayeon alone. The lunch period had just ended and all the students were now back in class. The loud chatters of the students filled the classroom as their subject teacher hadn't arrived yet, making it the perfect opportunity for him.

His eyes scanned the room and noticed that Dayeon was sitting at her desk. With no Harin by her side, or Taki by his side, he took his chance and cautiously walked towards her. He quietly sat down at his desk, fingers tapping against the table nervously and he cleared his throat. 

"H-hey, I was wondering if you—" The poor boy couldn't even finish his sentence before the teacher came in, causing the students to hurry back into their seats. 

He wasn't worried that the universe might've blown his chance, in fact, he was quite glad, opting to take any excuse so he couldn't ask her. Oh well, I tried. Better luck next time I guess, he thought. That was until Dayeon gently nudged him with her elbow, gesturing him to continue his sentence, despite the class already starting.

Riki didn't know what came over him but he froze in his seat. He never thought of himself as a pussy, but here he was acting like one. He felt like he was in 6th grade all over again. 

He could see the curious look on her face, patiently waiting for him to continue. His eyes looked away from hers, before unknowingly landing on her pink lips. Instantly, yesterday's flashbacks occupied his mind. He remembered her lips being so soft, wondering what lip balm she used. 

"Riki?" Dayeon whispered, earning his attention, and making him avoid eye contact with her.

"Uhh if you had a—" His eyes dropped to the pink pencil inside her pencil case. "Pink pencil?"

His unexpected request caused her to furrow her eyebrows in confusion. Okay, well maybe he wasn't the best liar, but what could he have done?

Seeing the look on her face, he continued, "I've been obsessed with pink lately," 

He tried brushing his words off by laughing a little but it just made the whole atmosphere even more... awkward. He was now regretting even opening his mouth in the first place.

"Oh... sure," Dayeon smiled at him despite his odd question, before reaching out to her pencil case and giving him the said pencil. 

"Thanks," replied Riki, looking back at the whiteboard as he tried to process everything. The weight of his words began to weigh him down, desperately cringing at himself. Pink, seriously? he thought. He literally hated the color pink. 

not me writing this chapter while listening to barbie songs but it's okay bc i'm just a girl 🎀