Prologue

Author's Note:

You know what? I couldn't care less anymore. I've been writing this story since book 1, regardless of whether anyone reads it or not. I'm here to keep this alive, no matter what the haters might say. Yeah, it's been a wild ride, with Y/N being a bit self-centered throughout the series. But you know what? It's my guilty pleasure, and I won't apologize for it. I'm writing this with pure selfishness, for my own satisfaction and no one else's. So buckle up, because this story ain't stopping, whether you're on board or not. Let's gooo!

-

"How much is that?" I asked, pointing at the Christmas decoration being sold by the old woman.

"I will give it to you for 20,000 won," she replied.

"Hmm, it looks good," I said, considering the purchase.

"Thank you. I've made these by hand," the old woman proudly shared.

"Wow, that's actually impressive, grandma," I remarked.

"Well, this is my source of income, so I really have to be good," she explained.

I smiled lightly at the old woman and handed her the cash. She gave me the Christmas decor, a charming miniature bungalow house with a festive theme.

"You're such a pretty young woman," she complimented.

"Ah, you're so nice. I'm not. I actually think that I look..." I trailed off, feeling self-conscious.

"No, don't say that. I can sense that you are beautiful inside and out," she assured me.

I scratched the back of my neck and bowed at her. "Well, I think I should get going now. Thanks for this."

"Have a merry Christmas with your loved ones," she wished me.

I laughed softly. "Unfortunately, I don't have that."

She tilted her head curiously. "Why is a beautiful and nice lady like you alone in this beautiful holiday?"

"I wouldn't be alone right now if... well, if only I knew what's the right thing to do back then," I confessed.

"Family?" she guessed.

"They're gone since I was a kid," I replied sadly.

"A partner?" she inquired.

"Well... I had one. But I messed up," I admitted regretfully.

"Hmm, well, whatever it was, I think you can still be forgiven," she offered reassuringly.

"You think so? Because I don't. What I did was unforgivable," I replied, feeling a heavy weight on my heart.

The old woman picked up a Christmas candy cane and handed it to me with a meaningful look on her face.

"Here, take this. I hope this makes your Christmas a bit sweeter," she said sincerely.

I slowly accepted the candy, memories flooding my mind as I looked at it.

"Oh... sweets," I murmured, lost in thought.

"Don't you like sweets?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"No... I do... I just remembered someone very important," I replied, a mixture of sweetness and sadness in my voice.

I chuckled bitterly to myself, feeling the weight of my own losses.