09

Word Count: 6,407

My relationship with Jennie had reached a point that could hardly be considered good. It had been nearly a month since she started coming to the dental clinic to ensure I ate my lunch, going as far as preparing the meals for me every single day.

The last time I held her in my arms was when IU paid a visit, and it seemed to stir a mix of emotions within Jennie.

Letting out a sigh, I scribbled on a patient's chart before taking a seat in my chair, trying to focus on my work. I couldn't help but wonder what was going through Jennie's mind. She had become distant and cold towards me since that day.

Was it all in my imagination? Did I read too much into her words when she mentioned someone trying to steal her home? Was I deluding myself into thinking that I was the one she referred to as "home"?

If I wasn't mistaken, then perhaps she had simply changed her mind about me. The day after our intimate moment, she began avoiding me, doing her best to minimize our interactions. However, she continued to bring me lunchboxes without fail, leaving me perplexed and confused.

Her actions and behavior left me feeling utterly baffled.

"Sana," I called out, expecting my nurse to promptly appear in my office as usual. However, this time, there was no immediate response. Could she be talking to someone else in the waiting room?

Glancing at the clock, I noticed that it was almost lunchtime. A glimmer of excitement and hope sparked within me. Maybe Sana was talking to Jennie.

Eagerly, I stood up from my seat and made my way towards the door. I hastily turned the doorknob, hoping to find a familiar face with feline-like eyes standing by Sana's desk, ready to hand over a pastel-colored lunchbox.

A smile formed on my lips in anticipation as I stepped out of my office, but to my surprise, I was met by a strikingly handsome man. He had a charismatic aura and a captivating presence. His dark hair was styled perfectly, framing his chiseled features. His deep gaze matched the intensity of his smile, making it hard to look away.

Confusion crept over me as I glanced at the window, noticing the rain outside. Who was this man?

"Sana," I called out, addressing her with a questioning tone. She wore a slight frown on her face as she looked at me. "Is Jennie not coming today?"

The man turned his gaze towards me and offered a friendly smile, revealing his dimples. "Hi, Jennie is busy at the pastry shop today, so she asked me to come here instead."

I nodded, still captivated by the man's striking appearance. He exuded an air of confidence and charm that made it hard to ignore.

"Sorry, who are you?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

The man extended his hand in greeting, his touch warm and inviting. "The name is Kai," he replied, his voice smooth and melodic.

Suddenly, a sense of unease washed over me as I shook Kai's hand. My frown deepened, and I couldn't shake the bad feeling that had settled within me.

"Thank you for delivering this. Does Jennie need any help at the shop? I can leave the clinic early and lend a hand," I said firmly, my voice tinged with concern.

Kai shook his head, glancing at his wristwatch with a thoughtful hum. "Well, we've been swamped with orders today, and with just the three of us in the shop, it's been quite busy. Jennie wanted to come here herself, but I insisted on going in her place. She's just so cute sometimes, I don't want her to get sick because of the rain, so..." he trailed off.