07

Word Count: 4,309

I woke up, feeling as though I had just experienced the most peaceful slumber in a while, even though I knew it had only been less than an hour. Despite the nightmare, there was a sense of safety that lingered from seeing Jennie in my dream.

It felt like being home. I raised my head from the table and straightened my posture, taking in my surroundings.

My gaze landed on the lunchbox carefully placed on my desk. I reached out and touched it, feeling its slight warmth. Did Sana bring this for me?

I must have been so deeply asleep that I didn't even notice her come into the office.

Stretching my body, I stood up and walked over to the window, opening the blinds. The snow was still falling heavily outside.

Turning around, I made my way to the sink to wash my hands, taking my time to thoroughly clean them. Satisfied, I walked back to my desk and sat down, preparing to eat my lunch. True to Jennie's words, she was still looking after me, despite her claim that there was no longer any love in her actions.

She cared for me... only because I was too pitiful for her to ignore. I cleared my throat and exhaled, gathering my thoughts and emotions for the day ahead.

I gently touched the lunchbox, opening it slowly. Inside, I found my favorite Korean dish - bulgogi, cooked to perfection.

Knowing that Jennie had put in a lot of time and effort to make this meal made me frown. Her actions seemed to contradict what she had said, leaving me confused and longing for clarity.

With a deep breath, I picked up the chopsticks and started eating, enjoying the delicious flavors. Each bite reminded me of home and brought back memories of shared meals.

As I savored the food, my mind wandered back to the dream I had, where Jennie said, "We're home." It left me wondering if it was just a dream or something more. Her touch in the dream felt so real, instantly calming me.

But then I scolded myself for being foolish and letting my imagination run wild. Doubts and vulnerability crept in, making me question my own sanity and the limits of my longing heart.

I coughed and felt the urge to sneeze. Gosh, am I really going to get sick at a time like this?

I hate being superstitious, but I really don't want to be sick on the first day of the new year.

I took a moment to gather myself and continued eating. I suppose I'll have to deal with it and hope for the best.

-

"Achoo!" I sneezed, unable to suppress it.

"Bless you," Sana said, handing me a box of tissues.

"Could you please check if we still have more patients scheduled for today?" I asked, my voice slightly congested. I took a seat in the chair, noticing that there was no one in the waiting room at the moment.

"Hmm, looks like you've already taken care of the last one," Sana replied, giving me a questioning glance. "Do you want me to send you home?"

I coughed, considering her offer. "N...no, I'm good. I'll just leave early if that's alright?"

She frowned at me. "I've been telling you to go home for hours now, so don't even ask me that."

I smiled sheepishly, trying to suppress another cough.

"Seriously, you're going to get sick on New Year's Eve?" she exclaimed, concern evident in her voice.

"It's not like I wanted to be sick, Sana," I replied, my voice tinged with frustration. "It must be the weather. I've been out and about despite the cold lately because I didn't want to stay cooped up in my empty house. There's nothing waiting for me there." I avoided making eye contact with her.