Chapter 10. Luke

"What?" Her gaze oddly unsettled me, but in a strangely intriguing way. I pressed on, "You feel sorry for them?"
She replied, placing her hand on her knees, "No. I envy them. A long lifetime is the ultimate curse."

Second spin.
I asked, "Who are you? What is your family background?"
She picked up the gun and shot.
"Already skipping my questions," I giggled.

Third spin.
My turn.
"Why'd you come up to me?"
"Will you believe if I say you're handsome?"
"I won't buy that. If it were other party girls, maybe. But coming from you, it's hard to believe."
She grabbed the gun and, without hesitation, pulled the trigger. Where did she get the guts?

Fourth spin.
She asked, "Were you always like this when you were young?"
It was my turn to take a shot.

Fifth spin.
I asked, "What's your real relationship with Martin Joe?"
I knew she wouldn't answer, especially not to this one.

Sixth spin.
Only two chances are left. I should ask something she can answer without much thought.
"What do you do for a living? At least you can answer that, right?"
She finally responded, "Can't exactly call it part-time. It's very sporadic. Jobs last only a few days."
I inquired, "Why? You getting fired?"
She smirked, "I implore you not to taunt me with that. I'm already fed up with all the mockery."

Seventh spin.
She asked, "Will you marry me, no objections or questions?"
I reached for the gun.

Eighth spin.
It was my turn to ask.
"Will I be a fucking fool if I ask for your trust?"

All five chances were up. Before I could prompt her for an answer, she was poised with the gun. Her finger was about to squeeze the trigger when I swiftly grabbed her hand, causing the bullet to pierce through the ceiling.

"Have you lost your mind? Did you not realize it was the last chance? You could have been shot." Panic was evident in every cell of my body.

Her giggle infuriated me. I unleashed my anger on her. "It's not a toy, Miss Aisha Grants. It's a bullet and a gun. Do you have the slightest idea what was about to happen just now?"

She responded, "Are you concerned? I thought you found pleasure in killing people. I apologize if I sound insolent."

I took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. Truly sorry. I had no intention to upset you or startle you. I just grabbed it and-" she exclaimed.

I sternly interjected, "And pulled the trigger, pointing it at your head."

I don't know why I'm so irritated. If it were some other girl, would I care this much? Why am I so concerned about this girl? Why am I so nervous even thinking about what could have happened if she...

"I'm sorry. I just thought of it as a toy gun and pressed it."

"Do you expect me to marry a girl who can't explain herself, won't reveal her parents, doesn't share her thoughts, and can't be trusted?"

"It does sound ridiculous. Well, it was nice meeting you. And I apologize again if I did anything to hurt you or make you uncomfortable."

She rose to depart.

"I will."

She turned around, and we exchanged a gaze filled with disbelief.
She asked, "What?"
I reassured, "I will marry you. I never break my promises. I promised to grant your wish. I will. Choose the place and date. I'll confirm the time."