Chapter 40. Luke

"Happy Birthday to you!"

The cacophony filled the room, disrupting our meeting and drawing every eye to the table of revelers nearby. Despite the commotion, I endeavored to maintain focus on the documents spread before me. However, the sensation of being observed persisted, prompting me to glance towards the source—a girl struggling amidst the crowd. She bore a semblance of familiarity, perhaps the same individual from the shopping mall, but I pushed the thought aside, intent on the matters at hand.

Her unwavering gaze, however, proved disconcerting. While I was no stranger to attention from the fairer sex, her persistent scrutiny felt stifling. Attempting to disregard her presence, I redirected my focus to the papers before me, but her eyes lingered, unsettling my concentration.

In an abrupt interruption, someone collided with my chair, startling me from my reverie. It was her. Offering assistance, I watched as she hastily departed, leaving behind a lingering sense of anticipation and unrest.

Curiosity compelled me to follow, and after precisely forty seconds, I pursued her out of the room. Yet, my haste led to an unforeseen collision with a passing waiter.

Outside, I approached Evan, who was standing near my car. "Did you see the girl from the shopping mall?" I inquired.

"No, Boss. What's the matter?" he responded.

"Nothing. Nevermind," I replied, pausing for a moment before continuing, "I don't know why, but her presence affects me in a unique way. And I don't dislike it."

"Evan," a familiar voice interrupted from behind. "Can I ask ..." She hesitated upon recognizing me.

Turning to Evan, I asked, "How does she know you?"

Evan muttered, "Ah, she asked for directions."

Interrupting, she said, "Sorry for the trouble," and walked away without a backward glance.

Taking a step towards her, I called out,

"Hello."

"Hey!"

"Shopping mall girl!!"

"Little Missy!!!"

She halted in her tracks. Turning back, she pierced me with her startling gaze once more, her eyes filled with undeniable moisture. Why was she so shaken up by my presence?

In an instant, a car rushed past, and she disappeared from view.

The car stopped and a crowd gathered near it. Evan rushed towards the scene, shouting, "Madam!" I followed him, and upon reaching the site, a pang surged through me. My heart felt heavy as if it could barely bear the weight. It was as if I had been crushed under the wheels of the car, but she was the one who had fallen victim to the hit-and-run accident.

Taking her to the nearby hospital, she was rushed into the operating theater. Evan turned to me, "Boss, I'm here. You should go home and rest for a while. You have another important meeting with the anonymous heir of Klank Industries. I'll make sure she receives every possible support and funding from our company."

"I'm fine. Let's wait for her results," I replied to Evan, though my voice betrayed a hint of exhaustion.

After an hour, she was transferred to a common ward. The doctor informed us that she was out of danger but remained unconscious. Making my way to her bedside, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was looking at someone seemed unfamiliar yet I felt like I had known for ages. She hurt her head, bruises on her left elbow. A cut on her cheekbone left a small scar, but despite it all, she looked stunning.

Evan: "Boss, you're running late for the meeting. I doubt they'll cancel..."

Luke: "Evan, cancel all meetings and plans for today."

Evan: "What? I'm sorry, but it's a really important meeting."

Luke: "I intend to stay here until she wakes up."

Evan: "Boss, I'm here to handle things. You don't need to -"

Luke: "I want to."

Evan: "But the accident wasn't our fault."

Luke: "I'm aware. May I inquire why you're bombarding your boss with questions?"

The doctor entered with a prescription in hand and addressed me, "Mr. Luke, you don't need to be here. You look exhausted. Get some sleep."

"I'm fine," I insisted.

"Your presence alone is more than enough," he reassured me. "She's a familiar face at our hospital. You don't need to worry. We'll take good care of her."

"Regular?" I inquired. "Does she suffer from..."

"No, no," he interrupted. "It's nothing like that. I'm sorry, but I can't disclose any further details due to the hospital's privacy policy. She visits here frequently and is known to many of our nurses. She even worked as a nurse here for a month, but we had to let her go due to her lack of reliability."

"Oh," I murmured, feeling like an intruder. "So, you know her quite well. I seem to be the only one who doesn't. What's her name?"