Chapter 36. Aisha

He has seen my utmost sincerity in our every meets. Unknowingly I had opened the door to my secret chamber before he found the keys. I had shown him my world before he asked for it. Fallen for him before he seduced me. But hesitated to unchain my heart. Because once it believes him, it will be hard for me to believe that he's gone.

Six months drifted by, yet I still longed for his shadow. Summer persisted, unchanged. The fall was still the same. Nothing has changed much. Laughter mingled with tears, worries ebbed and flowed, and we stumbled along the path of existence. With him or without him, the world spun on. 
The only thing that changed was the heart. It didn't stop beating but it has stopped feeling.

Each moment drips with regret, a relentless reminder of the pain that stains my existence. I curse the day our paths crossed, wishing for a life untouched by the agony of guilt. Yet, even in the depths of despair, I can't help but gaze into the fractured reflection of a shattered mirror, to remind myself what I've lost.

The phone beeped.

"Hello?"

"You little! Pay the rent today, or you'll be out within twenty-four hours."

"Yes, ma'am. I'll settle everything today."

I've given my all to carve out a living, navigating through different jobs, workplaces, and even professions. Eventually, I found my niche as a kindergarten teacher. While the pay may not be substantial, it's sufficient to cover our daily needs.

For now, the school has become my favourite haven where I find solace amidst the chaos of life. Watching the children play fills me with inexplicable joy, allowing me to smile without restraint. Yet, even in the midst of laughter and solace, I find myself unable to shake off the memories that linger in the recesses of my mind.

"Miss Aisha," a voice called out from behind, pulling me from my reverie. I turned to find one of my colleagues approaching with a tentative smile.

"Are you heading home?" he inquired, his tone casual yet expectant.

"Yes, any work?" I replied, attempting to deflect the conversation.

He hesitated before offering, "May I have the pleasure of dropping you off?"

Politely declining, I stated, "No, thank you. I'm fine on my own."

Taking a deep breath, he confessed, "I've been trying to get closer to you, but it seems I've been unsuccessful. After you rejected Mr. Jeffrey's proposal, I thought there might be an opportunity. However, your lack of response has left me questioning if I even stand a chance. Are you not interested, or perhaps you're already involved with someone else?"

Caught off guard, I stumbled over my words before finally admitting, "I'm sorry, but I'm not currently seeking a relationship."

As my phone rang, I excused myself from the conversation.

"What's the matter?"

"I'm hungry. Hurry up."

At home......

"I asked for cup noodles, not cupcakes. And where are my chicken wings?"

"I got you waffles instead."

"I don't want them. I don't even like waffles."

"The doctor advised against spicy foods for you. And you're not a child anymore. Don't always complaint about food."

"Stop nagging. And thanks to you, I feel like a child again, unable to move without your help."

"Alright, I'll be playing babysitter both at work and at home."

"Get ready tomorrow. You're taking me to the park for a walk."

"Martin, please stop acting like a child. I have to go to school."

"You just don't seem to care about me."

"Listen, we need money to survive. Rent, electricity, water bills—they're all overdue."

"Why do we even bother with money when neither of us truly feels alive?"