Chapter 2 - Survivors of Chaos

Raimu felt strange, slowly opening his eyes.

The moment he caught sight of the ceiling, he instantly sat up. "Wait hold on, where am I?!"

He looked around, the place not seeming familiar at first. When he turned, he caught sight of Valli and remembered that they were still hiding.

"Still here..." He mumbled to himself, rubbing the back of his head to get pebbles out of his hair. "..."

He didn't know why he felt more tired than usual. When he normally woke up, he felt fine but now it felt like he couldn't open his eyes again if he blinked. It was a weird feeling but he managed to shake it off after a minute.

'I really liked what I was dreaming about...' A few more pebbles fell from his hair when he shook it. '...A better world...'

He looked up through the cracks of the ceiling, noticing how much darker the sky was than before. That only told him that it could be around midnight and he accidentally fell asleep. He felt bad for having done so, rubbing away the sleep from his eyes.

Something suddenly fell onto his nose and he stared forward. "Huh? What?"

He wiped it off but another dropped down in place of it. Feeling the coldness and wetness of it gave him the hint that it was water. More water droplets began dripping through the cracks, most landing on him.

"Ah!" Valli sat up when water fell onto her face and she shook her head. "That's cold...good morning, Raimu."

Raimu wiped away another droplet from his face. "Huh? Good morning."

"Have you fallen asleep yet? I'm pretty sure it's already morning."

He got slightly embarrassed and dipped his head. "I'm sorry. I said I would stay up and I guess I ended up dozing off..."

"You don't have to apologize. I bet you needed the sleep."

"Yeah...but now we can't..." He could hear how it was raining harder and saw the wet ground. "The ground is getting wet."

"That sucks. I think it's worse than it being nighttime. The wet ground makes me cold..."

"Yeah but the fun thing is..."

He reached for his backpack, which he put off to the side before. Unzipping it, he took out several empty water bottles and put them on the ground.

Raimu took out one more and held it up. "It's a good chance to get more water."

"I guess you're right." Valli sighed but then furrowed her eyebrows. "But it'll take too long to get it from inside here so..."

"I'm getting the water from outside. It's much faster that way, isn't it?"

"I don't think it is. What if you get caught?"

He shrugged, gathering the water bottles and standing up. "I don't mind it, since it does get us water. I also think she's the...stuck up type. She probably won't want to be out in the rain."

"Hold on." She quickly stumbled to her feet and took a step forward. "I'll come out and help you.

He shook his head and slowly turned towards the door. "You can stay here. If...I do end up getting caught, then you can hide in here or be the first to get away."

"Don't say something like that...and I'm always here to help..."

"I'll be just fine." He promised and opened the door, closing it behind himself when he was outside.

He instantly got soaked by the pouring rain, his hair flattening down after a few seconds. There were puddles everywhere and the splattering of the rain felt louder than ever.