Chapter 14: God and other imaginations

"Cecilia!", Mr. Dubois shouts from upstairs. Her head shoots up and her fingers stop flying over the keyboard, making the melody stop abruptly.
"Yes, dad?!", she shouts back.
"I thought, since its my free day, why dont we go for a walk around the big Apple, and maybe catch up?", he shouts again, making a grin spread across Cecilias features.
"I cant wait!", she retorts and starts playing again. It was very rare that her father had days off, so it was just like Christmas to her when he decided to spend them with his daughter, now that his wife was gone.

----------------------------------

The engine of the car makes calm noises as the two drive down the highway, entering the heart of New York.
"So...how are you?", Cecilia's father asks she could hear nervousness in his tone, for a reason unknown to her.
"Im perfectly fine dad.", she answers, patting his shoulder reassuringly,"you're nervous. Whats wrong?"
Its silent for a while between the two as her father searches for the right words.
"Im just...", he pauses sighing," im just very sorry that it didn't work. Yesterday, i mean. I always manage to get your hopes up, to destroy them in the end. You must be very disappointed with me."
It takes a while for Cecilia to process what her father had just said, before she starts laughing.
"Dad, relax. Im not disappointed in the least. I knew this wouldn't work so i didnt even have any hopes that it would succeed in the first place.", Cecilia starts, a smile spreading across her face as she remembers how she had fooled Liam yesterday,"we've been to so many doctors, all of them assuring me that they had THE CURE but none of them actually succeeded. I learned to not get my hopes up as soon as a doctor calls, claiming they can help me."
Her father seemed to relax at his daughters words, but still he felt remorse at why he still failed to help her.

He remembered once, months ago, when his wife had died he was walking past his daughters room, hearing muffeled sobs coming from inside. He remembers how his heart sank at that very moment, since Cecilia was the one who had taken care of him during and after the furneral. She had been strong, no sign of breakdown because her mother had died. He knew now, that his daughter had done that just so he wouldn't be concerned about his daughter. And as he had listened to his daughter cry herself to sleep in her room, he wondered why god decided to punish her so much. His sweet little girl, who had done nothing wrong in her life, had lost her eyesight and her mother too soon. He had kneeled by his bed that night, folding his hands together and closing his eyes. He was never a very religious person. His wife had forced him to go to church a few times, but that was it already. He thought that those who believed in god, were just very desperate or had lost all hope in their life, needing something to believe in so they wouldnt completely fall apart. Thats why he thought people prayed to an imaginary person, a person Dupois thought was just a creation of imagination.
And there he was now, kneeling beside his bed, his head hanging low, his eyes closed and his hands folded. There he was, praying, for the first time in his life. He remembered how his wife had forced him to send a prayer for his wellbeing in church once. It was Christmas. So, just for funtimes, he had prayed.

Dear God,
Please make that my boss grows a second nose because hes such a nosy bastard. Please make money grow on trees and strawberry icecream flow in the rivers. Also, it would be really nice to have a new car. Maybe a Lamborgini?
Thanks bud.
Amen, i guess?