9. They Say Love is Blind

"Hello, y/n!"

You froze. After getting over your shock, you proceeded to violently sit up, staring at the puppet-being dumbfounded. He was smiling, and had a picnic basket in hand. Strange. You thought he'd be angry. "Wally?"

"That's me."

You just got straight to the point, "You aren't angry at me?"

He "chuckled" a bit, "Of course not, silly!"

This just made you even more confused, "Then... why'd you never take me to the forest before?"

He took a moment to ponder before answering with a shrug, "I knew you'd look." Was he always that easygoing? You decided to ignore the revelation in the hopes that you didn't accidentally make him angry by questioning him.

He walked up to you and then sat down. The sun was setting and the sky was full of streaks of clouds. Each one highlighted in soft pinks and oranges. You sat with him and just stared at the sky in a moment of euphoria. Eventually, your eyes wondered to him. While he often resembled a child, the mere awe and love painted on his face as he stared at the sky made your heart flutter.

He caught you staring and smiled sheepishly. "I brought something for you," he gestured to the basket. You looked up at him before opening it and received a curt nod.

Rather than the expected treat, you found a canvas. You carefully picked it up and stared in awe at the hundreds of brilliant delicate strokes. It was you, sitting just at the edge of the lake. Due to the fact that your back was facing the view, it didn't draw away from all the beautiful florals and grasses littered throughout the scene.

"Oh, Wally, it's beautiful!" You beamed at him, wrapping your arms around the now flustered puppet. Closing your eyes, you leaned your head on his shoulder. He soon went limp against you, and you let go, started.

"Whoa!" He quickly regained control, shaking his head cartoonishly. "Are you alright?"

"Yes." He simply responded, beaming once again. You'd forgotten how gleeful it was to be around Wally. For some reason all you'd recalled of him was a temperamental child. How wrong you were. Maybe you just likened him to the way you saw neighborhood.

All you knew now though, was that his features were all focused on you. His perfect yet playfully done hair, his warm loving smile, his captivating eyes. All of them neatly displayed right before you. As if the world had handed you perfection on a silver platter. And you took it.

Your hands intertwined. The warm sky dimmed into a medley of dark hues, dotted with bright forgiving stars. The atmosphere illuminated by nothing but the crescent moon.

Eventually you heard a soft whisper of your name. Turning to Wally, he handed you a carnation. It was identical to the one you'd tossed into the water earlier. Running your fingers delicately against the petals played out just as it had before, almost nostalgic. But this flower was different. You cherished each and every white petal with all your heart.

You gently placed it down on the grass. "Thank you," you mumbled. You couldn't help but be consumed by his warm aura. Soon you found yourself leaning into his affection. And he did the same. Until you were so close that you couldn't stand just staring at him any longer. Your lips pressed against his in a gentle seal of adoration. Continuing with as much vehemence as you could possibly muster, you soon left the embrace.

You took a moment to stare at him with wide eyes. Having no idea what you felt, you just stewed in the benevolent moment. He stroked your hair in soft loving motions. It seemed he had somewhat of an idea of how he felt compared to your confusion.

He held his grounds so well. He seemed so in control of the situation.

If only you knew what was going through his head in the moment.

If only you knew about the sheer terror and trepidation behind his smile.

If you only you knew of the single beady eye watching you from inside that beloved flower.

~•~

698 words

"Oh boy. DONT WORRY I DIDNT DIE!!! If you knew the roller coaster of emotions you'll be going on through the next few chapters. I'm really bad when it comes to striking deep seeded emotions through writing, but I'll try. It'll be more realizations than chapters that make you cry if you get what I'm saying. Welp, hope you liked it, comment your thoughts, vote, and I'll see you next chapter!"

- Coffee