Chapter Seventy-Six

"Daniel?" Lila called, knocking on his bedroom door. He'd come home about half an hour after she did and closed himself in his room immediately. While Daniel being shut up in his room was not exactly unusual, he at least would normally wander around the house, grab some juice, maybe chat with someone at home, and watch a little bit of TV before doing so.

He didn't respond, so she knocked again.

"What?" he snapped through the door.

"Can I come in?"

"Why?"

"I... want to talk to you. Check in."

"I'm fine."

"I'm coming in."

He didn't protest, so she opened his door and entered his room. It looked much the same as yesterday, though the assortment of juice boxes seemed to be decreasing. He was sitting at his desk, the Square reader set beside his laptop. She could see that he had the Square website open. A notebook was also splayed on his desk.

"Doing some admin?" she asked lightly, crossing the room and sitting down on his bed. He shrugged noncommittally. He turned back around towards his laptop and began typing.

"... What happened?" Lila asked softly. He stopped typing for a second before resuming.

"Livi left just after you did. She couldn't handle being in the room for the rest of the day. It was a good thing I shut it down for the whole day, otherwise, I would've needed to do the reception work. That's... not exactly ideal."

"I see," Lila breathed, picking at her nails. Daniel certainly seemed withdrawn towards her this afternoon.

"Aside from me slapping her... was there anything else that I did wrong?"

Daniel sighed heavily, spinning in his chair to face her.

"I'm pissed," he said plainly. "Not necessarily at you, sis."

"That's a surprise. I somehow always manage to piss you off."

Daniel snickered. "Pretty sure that's your right as my sister. Just as it's my right as your brother to piss you off."

Lila smiled at Daniel. "True."

Daniel pursed his lips for a second before continuing. "I'm pissed at Livi. But I also feel bad for her. Your slaps hurt, dude. Then... of course... I don't know how to feel about Asher anymore."

Lila straightened up, squinting at him in confusion. "Okay, I feel like I can get the first two points... but what do you mean about Asher?"

"I didn't know he had a girlfriend," Daniel said quietly. "Emphasis on had, I guess."

He suddenly looked uncomfortable as he squirmed in his seat. "I... well... working with Asher these past few days... I guess he kinda turned into my role model. Kinda like the big brother I wish I had. Not that you and Clare aren't... mediocre enough sisters," he smirked as he said that and Lila rolled her eyes at him.

"So what's changed?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Sis, are you dead certain that he's been telling you the truth?"

"I feel like there's more to unpack than just that. If he has been lying, so what?"

"If he's been lying, then I can't support you dating him."

Lila blinked at him, bewildered. "That came outta left field. And I'm not dating him."

"I... may have been trying to encourage him to go for it," Daniel said hesitantly.