Chapter Eighty-Six

"Damn, Lila, did you leave the kitchen sink behind or is that in one of your bags?" Clare commented as she buckled up.

"Kitchen sink's in the backpack," Lila said sarcastically, buckling herself in as well. Clare chortled before starting the car. Lila had managed to get everything done with ten minutes to spare, so relaxed in her seat a little as Clare drove off towards Asher's.

"But, seriously, why are you taking so much crap?" Clare asked, glancing suspiciously at the three bulging bags Lila had crammed by her feet.

"I... I'm staying over at Asher's tonight."

"WHAT!" Clare screeched, slamming on the car brakes slightly too hard. Lila unhappily rubbed her chest, which had connected unceremoniously with the dashboard.

"Yeah," Lila confirmed as Clare set off again. "I'll be back tomorrow."

"You sure you guys aren't friends with benefits?"

"I'm sure. I already told you, I don't want that. Asher said he didn't want that, either."

"Alright," Clare said dubiously with raised eyebrows. "Maybe you should look at getting on the Pill."

"Clare!"

"It's a reasonable suggestion," Clare shot back. "Besides, it can help regulate your periods, reduce period pain, and whatever."

Lila's face started to feel hot, so she turned the heater down slightly. She wasn't going to be having sex with Asher – at least, not anytime soon. She didn't need the Pill...

"As your older sister, I feel obligated to recommend it to you anyway," Clare added seriously. "I'd like to just stay as an older sister, rather than an Auntie, please and thank you."

Lila huffed, beginning to pick at her nails.

"Plus, it needs time before it starts working properly."

"Are you being paid by Big Pharma or something?"

Clare snorted. "Girl, I work with a whole bunch of hot girls. Contraception is something we talk about, like, every day. I just picked up a lot of things."

Lila remained silent for the rest of the car ride, turning Clare's suggestion in her mind slowly. She still wasn't anticipating anything like that happening with Asher, but... perhaps reducing her period pain would be useful...

"Alright," Clare announced once she parked outside Asher's house. "We're here. Did you want to offload your bags?"

"I probably should," Lila replied, unclipping her seatbelt.

She exited the car, hoisting all three bags on one shoulder, and after slogging her way to the front doors, knocked politely. She didn't have to wait long before they opened.

"Hey- whoa, that's a whole bunch of stuff," Asher smiled, taking the bags from her. "I was just chatting to Gabriel. I'll put these down and finish up my conversation if you wanna head back to the car."

"Thanks," Lila replied, relieved that she didn't have to take off her high-top Converse shoes only to put them back on within seconds. He gave her another smile before disappearing into the depths of the house.

Lila and Clare waited for about ten minutes with no sign of Asher at all.

"What the heck is he doing?" Clare asked, tapping her steering wheel. Her eyes flickered to Lila before turning her attention back to the house. "You're so lucky I don't have plans today. Probably should've turned the car off if I knew we were going to be waiting this long, though."

"Thanks for your patience, Clare," Lila responded earnestly. The fact that Asher was making them wait for so long seemed unusual. Should she call him?

Just as Lila was scrolling through her phone to find his number, Clare sat up straight.