Chapter Eighty-Eight

When Gabriel called Asher and Lila down for dinner, Lila was in much higher spirits. It had definitely been a weird rollercoaster of a day, but spending time with Asher in the comfort of the rumpus room always seemed to lift her.

She was still smiling when Gabriel placed a bowl of sizzling lamb curry with rice before her. It smelt heavenly, and she let Gabriel know as such. He smiled at her and placed an empty bowl before Asher, who looked up at Gabriel in puzzlement.

"Just a moment," Gabriel said pleasantly to Asher, disappearing back towards the kitchen. Marlene entered soon after, a jug of juice and some cups sitting on an ornate tray in her hands. She wordlessly poured drinks for the four of them before tucking herself into her usual spot.

Gabriel returned, one slice of cheese in each of his rubber-gloved hands. Lila and Asher stared at him as he slapped both of them down onto Asher's bowl.

"There you are," Gabriel said sweetly. "Dinner is served."

Asher tore his eyes away from Gabriel and looked down at his cheese, as though he was half-expecting it to walk off his plate.

"Uh-"

"It's all you'll be getting until you learn how to be a true gentleman," Gabriel asserted before whipping around and hurrying back to the kitchen. Lila's eyes flickered to Marlene, who looked uncharacteristically ready to burst into laughter. When she noticed Lila looking at her, she hid her mouth with her hands.

"If you'll just excuse me, Mr Wagner and Lila," Marlene said stiffly, getting up from her seat. "I don't think I'll be joining you for dinner tonight."

Lila was certain she heard a cackle as Marlene departed, though it was quickly snuffed out. To be fair, watching Asher gawk at his slices of cheese almost made Lila want to leave so she could laugh as well.

"Go ahead," Asher said moodily, poking at the top slice. "Laugh."

"I wasn't about to," Lila lied, taking a sip of her juice.

"At least I have juice," Asher sighed, sipping his as well.

"Oh, where's Marlene?" Gabriel asked, carrying two plates of curry into the dining room.

"She... had to excuse herself," Lila responded, fighting to hold back her impending chortling.

"Ah," Gabriel replied sagely. "Sensible woman."

He placed one plate down where he usually sat and carried the other plate back out, Marlene's cup of juice in his other hand.

"I take it Gabriel's still mad at me," Asher said softly. He bit into his cheese. "At least this is good quality cheese."

"It... looks tasty," Lila tried to sound reassuring. "We can share my dinner if you want."

"None of that, Lila," Gabriel said sternly, having returned empty-handed. He settled himself into his usual seat, looking rather pleased. "Eat up."

Asher obediently did so without complaints. Lila glanced between them both and met Gabriel's narrowed eyes. She started eating immediately.

Once she was about halfway through her curry, and Asher's cheese slices were long gone, Lila clutched at her stomach.

"Oh... my goodness," she said, attempting to not look suspicious. "That was so delicious Gabriel! I can't eat another bite. Asher will have to finish it for me."

She chanced a peek at Gabriel who looked thoroughly unimpressed.

"Lila, that's not the point of punishment," he said, raising an eyebrow at her. "Asher won't learn if you just give up the punishment. Plus, you're not a Union. No negotiating."