Chapter Eighty-Seven

By the time Gabriel parked in the garage, Lila's nerves were on edge again. Perhaps it was better for her to go home and give Asher some time and space to think. Besides, since the photos from the disposable cameras had successfully been printed, they didn't necessarily have to go through them right now. They had all the time in the world to do that.

"Are you coming, Lila?"

Lila started, looking around to see where the voice was coming from. It was Asher. He'd somehow opened the car door for her without her noticing.

"Y-Yeah," she said hurriedly, unbuckling herself. "Sorry."

"No need to say sorry," Asher replied simply. His eyes seemed filled with disconcertment, but as soon as hers met his, his expression melted into one of unexpected tenderness. It was hypnotic. She managed to stumble out of the car, her stomach flipping as though it was on a rollercoaster the rest of her wasn't privy to.

Though she wanted to keep peeking at Asher's face in the hopes he'd look at her like that again, she didn't want to look weird so instead went about getting ready to head inside. Asher seemed to be wordlessly following her lead, the bag containing the mangled Charmander and printed photos swinging from his hand.

Gabriel caught Lila by the doorway as she was taking her shoes off, catching her off guard.

"Lila," he said gently, his eyes darting over to Asher and back to Lila, "can I have a word with you, please?"

The question immediately made her feel as though she was in trouble. Had she done something to offend Gabriel? Was it because they didn't exchange a greeting or otherwise talk on the way back?

"Gabriel-" Asher began to say before Gabriel shushed him.

"I'd like to speak with Lila, Asher," Gabriel said sternly. "I won't keep her for long. Hurry on upstairs."

Asher looked between them both, his mouth set in a hard line. It didn't look like he'd listen to Gabriel for a moment, but he obediently turned and headed towards the stairs. Gabriel shook his head in Asher's wake with a sigh.

"That boy must be doing your head in," Gabriel said softly. "Here, let me make you some hot chocolate."

"I-I'm fine, thank you," Lila said tentatively.

"I insist," Gabriel replied, a warm smile tugging the corners of his mouth. "I've got a stellar recipe."

"Well, when you put it like that," Lila responded, mirroring his smile. "Thank you. I'm keen to try it."

"Glad to hear it."

Lila pulled out a bar stool at the kitchen's island counter whilst Gabriel bustled into the butler's pantry. She heard, amongst the rumble of a kettle, the whirr of a blender, and the banging of various utensils. Just what did this hot chocolate entail?

Finally, Gabriel emerged from the butler's pantry, two mugs in his hands. He looked rather chuffed with himself as he slid one across the kitchen counter towards Lila and gingerly placed the other down just in front of him. He leaned across the island directly across from Lila, propping himself up by his forearms.

"You sure you don't want to sit?" Lila queried, gesturing to one of the bar stools.

"No thank you," Gabriel responded, shaking his head. "I'm rather used to standing all day."

"Okay. Thank you, for the hot chocolate," Lila added, cupping her warm, porcelain mug. It seemed there was a whipped, fluffy cloud floating on the top, covered in chocolate flakes. She poked it idly and heard Gabriel chuckle.