Chapter 1: The Reason I Love You

↞《⊱✟⊰》↠

↞《⊱✟⊰》↠

Ever since that day, Kalester would come daily, and give me food. I don't know how he was able to bypass the system, and I didn't care.

His presence was enough to warm me during these hard times. We talked a lot, and I shared things I would never expect to tell someone.

Kalester was kind enough to listen to my woes, and he would quietly respond. He would sit there with me even if the ground was cold. He gave me food and I was able to eat fresh food thanks to him.

Today was no different. He sat on the ground, and we talked. He asked me about many things about myself and I did ask him about himself.

He tried telling me about the case, and about the process of my jail time. However, I can also sense that sometimes he lies. The case—my crimes can't be fixed, even if those are fabricated crimes, I cannot leave this place.

"I was told that the emperor is holding me down, so even if you found evidence that it was all fake, it doesn't matter because the emperor's authority is an absolute law," I replied.

"Then are you giving up? Telling me that is like asking me to stop fighting, you know?"

We dropped formalities after all, I am a criminal, but his casual voice was not bad at all. He seemed trying to be polite, and calm thought his panicking.

"I have no choice, and I cannot let you get involved, otherwise you too will lose because of me," I didn't want to get him involved with my problem. He's been going around the palace asking for my retrial.

If he keeps this up, the Crown Prince will get rid of him as well. I understand that he can't do much but to follow the empire's standard, but he's pushing himself.

A Valentine has a reason why he can't get his way. The empire was founded by Valentine, but a treaty was made back then to control both Valentine and the Royal Family who took over the empire.

His hands are chained much like I am. Dealing with the affairs of the empire is also asking for war. The reason he couldn't disobey the crown was because of that reason—them and their curse blood.

"I am merely following your father's wish, though if you ask me, I don't really care about getting involved with you," he mumbled and it made me smile.

Half of me wanted to believe that but one betrayal is enough to open my eyes. "What are you trying to achieve by doing this anyway? We aren't close, and we barely knew each other. You can ignore my father's request, you have the power to—as the Grand Duke's young lord."

There's no point in helping a woman nearing death's footstep. Why is he doing this? I have no hope left, but yet he keeps on giving me hope. We don't know each other, yet we become close after some time since that day he came but that was all.