Chapter 10: Roll The Dice

↞《⊱✟⊰》↠

↞《⊱✟⊰》↠

Duke Helton is a man with many duties and beliefs. He doesn't share the same ideal as the Royal Family nor the emperor, that is why he keeps on interfering with his majesty whenever he gets a chance.

Unlike the emperor who was born out of wedlock. The Duke was an orphan whose parents died in a carriage accident when he was barely five years old. He grew up under the care of his late grandmother, and his uncle who helped him get acquainted with his duty as a Duke.

He was so young when he was told to manage the duchy. That is why, his uncle has temporarily taken care of his duty for the time being.

Soon, things went upside down with his life. His grandmother lost her life due to old age, she was the only one left after his uncle who was there for him even at the rough times. Due to that, when he reached a certain age—around nine to ten, his uncle took him under his care as the remaining heir to the duchy.

He taught him how he can properly lead, and how to manage his subjects. His uncle, who was his father's only brother, showed him kindness and appreciation. He was not like others who abuse their niece, and steal a family title it was not theirs to begin with.

His uncle cherishes his own title, and his family. Despite being an orphan, Helton grows up in a loving household who does not hesitate to cherish him with care and understanding.

However, due to the Imperial Family's struggle for power at that time. All things have come to a dire situation, the faction of each prince and princess grow high, and tension between the subjects submerge.

Each of the prince and princess was given a task to prove themselves as the heir to the throne. Helton's uncle, Lukas supports the faction of the Second Prince who shows great potential to become an emperor.

Because of his strong connections and influence, he was able to support the Second Prince well—but came with a punishment. His uncle was assassinated the day before Helton became a Duke.

After the assassins rounded him up, he got shot by an arrow and was left for death. His guards and knights couldn't protect him, and he couldn't fight back as he was not gifted like his brother with a blade.

Because of this, Helton's day of succession was known as the day of the 'Tragic Cannibal'. A day that Duke Helton's happy day turns into a nightmare. Due to this, Lukas family had no heir to succeed—but their daughter, that is why a special treatment was given to Lukas's daughter to succeed.

Lukas became a sacrificial goat for a certain prince who brought all of his siblings down to the ground. Bloodshed happens on the night of the festival, all of the prince and princess except one died, either to assassination, poisoning or murder.

That prince, a son of a maid, the seventh prince, the only remaining heir succeeded the imperial throne at means of bloody steroids. Duke Helton never liked him since he discovered the truth, about the reason his uncle was assassinated.