Chapter 3: The Fate Turning Point

↞《⊱✟⊰》↠

I was taken into a small room that has a chair, and a table at the center of it. The room was so gloomy, so I thought it was used for interrogation—I mean a non physical one. The knight was so rough with me as he threw me inside like I was an animal.

He then said. "The Grand Duke will be here in the moment," and I confusingly nodded as I sat on the chair provided for me.

I waited as instructed, and for a few minutes, the door opened. I looked at the one who entered and my eyes widened. It was a man, who for some unknown reason looked like Kalester with his long hair. Indeed, he looks like him but this man is older than Kalester, and he bears a scar on his cheeks.

Kalester didn't have that. I simply remained still and I looked down. I knew I should be asking but I have no rights to speak. I am a criminal, worse than a slave, and I am brandish.

Speaking to high noble is a work of a noble, yet I am just no one at this moment. I am just a criminal, and I know my place.

"Catholy, is it not?" the man asked and I simply nodded.

"My name is Dezel Valentine, the Grand Duke of Valentine Duchy, and father of Kalester," he introduced himself and I almost choked when I raised my head and looked.

Valentine!? Kalester's father? His the one who saw my father's letter? That can't be, where is Kalester then?

Indeed, no wonder he looked like him except for the eye. It runs down on the lineage.

"Now listen, you have a choice here—I can break you out or you can choose to die, which would not be a favorable suggestion," he then stated making me more confused.

Wait, no, the Grand Duke is offering me to choose my fate. He has the power to free me, no doubt but if I do so as he suggested, I will not save anyone. The emperor wanted me dead, and I had no choice but to become silent after he threatened me with the lives of the servants and people of my homeland.

That's why I couldn't leave even though Kalester was telling me that he could free me. I knew I had the choice but I also knew the consequences of my actions.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

He slightly smiled and looked away. "My son seems to have fallen for you, my lady, he begged me to help but then what can I do? The treaty is refraining us from disobeying the emperor, one sweep lope and everything will be over."

I pinched the center of my fingers and I breathed out. "I was threatened by his majesty, if I don't die, my homeland will perish in the map of the Albania Empire, that is why I am doing this."

I never told Kalester about this, I was afraid to tell him about how the emperor threatened me. "The Roqueves Duchy?" he asked and I simply nodded.

"Your father was a great man, yet like all subjects of the emperor, he cannot disobey the authority of his reign, we are powerless to do something about the corrupted emperor, and then one day he sent me a letter. He knew this day would come, and he asked me to save you."