21 - HIS

[Chapter 21]

As the days unfolded, I felt the creeping tendrils of madness coiling around the edges of my consciousness. Obsession, they called it. But to me, it was a symphony of darkness and desire, a clamor that echoed in the corridors of my twisted soul.

My gaze, unrelenting and possessive, fixated on her, the way her chest was heaving up and down subtly for the last 17 minutes. She has breathed 278 times.

Mio fiore looked beautiful even when asleep. Oh, how I yearned to lie beside her.

Even the most delicate movement, the simple act of her breathing, infused life into me. Her well-being brought an immense joy, an emotion that resonated deep within my being.

292," I whispered, my voice like a ghostly murmur.

"Stop being a fucking creep," Roman muttered beside me.

"295."

"Alexander," he spat my name, a futile attempt to pull me back from the precipice of my deranged obsession. I knew it too. I was nothing but a creep, but I was a creep in love.

"297."

I had installed another camera, hidden within her alarm clock, a clandestine lens to capture the minutiae of her being. I wanted to see every second of her, from her slight breathing to her subtle frown in her dreams. I wanted to watch every second of her.

After all these years I wished I could not part a moment of her. My Daisy was too precious to be ignored.

"302."

"I think we should let Daisy go."

Now that made me distracted.

"And I think I should put a bullet in your head," I replied, my tone devoid of emotion, my eyes locked onto the life that pulsed within Daisy.

"Alex, listen to me," Roman pleaded, his voice a feeble protest against the tempest within me. "Keeping her near us will only bring harm. Our enemies will exploit her to hurt us."

"309," I declared, drowning out his rationality. My obsession was an impenetrable fortress, impervious to the logical arguments that sought to assail it.

"I know you want her close, but it's not worth risking her life," Roman reasoned, desperation tainting his words. "Our existence is a volatile tempest, and we cannot guarantee her safety. Tomorrow, someone might put a hit on us, and Daisy will be caught in the crossfire."

I knew that too.

Cursed be the moment I tasted her once more. She's a drug too potent to resist. It's like I've willingly descended into the depths of madness for the chance to taste her once more.

Damn the consequences, damn me that hesitates.

"314."

"Alexander, are you even listening to me?" Roman's frustration echoed through the room. "Daisy is not—"

"Daisy is mine," I interrupted, biting off each word. My gaze locked onto Roman's. "I am going to have her," I declared.

The room, a silent witness to our clandestine conversation, seemed to tighten with the weight of unspoken truths. I knew why Roman's brow furrowed with anger and anxiety.

The southern winds of Italy were whispering of change, the rise of a new leader—another bastard of my father, coveting the seat that held dominion over the entire country.

"We are going back to Italy," I announced, the gravity of my words hanging like an impending storm. Roman's expression remained a mosaic of uncertainty.