Chapter 1

A/N: What? She updated Ghosts?! I am in the process of editing this, mainly because I miss writing about ghosts. Even though I'm writing Castles, it's not the same. Ghosts was my first big story, so I am fixing it up and making changes. I wrote this story four years ago when I was in 7th grade. Things need to change very badly!

___________

I have been sick my entire life. I have had multiple surgeries, many hours of chemo, and so many days I wished I could die. I was diagnosed when I was two. I'm sixteen now and my life pretty much sucks.

As I lay in my personal hospital bed, I thought about death. Would it hurt? What happens? After a few long hours of thinking, I decided that death is a relief to this life. Death can only be the best option for me.

I pulled the cord of the oxygen machine from the wall and my breathing changed from long, deep breaths to short, shallow ones. My chest was heavy and I hoped I would suffocate soon.

My parents walked into my room and thank god they didn't notice the machine that was unplugged. My mom knelt down beside me and took my hand, like she did every day. She closed her eyes and said, "Dear Lord, please forgive all of our mistakes. We know we all make them. I love my son, Daniel. I hope you can love him too. Danny needs to get better. He's a great kid and doesn't deserve this. Please Lord, let him live. Take me instead. Amen." She kissed my forehead then stood up.

I loved my mom. She had shoulder length, blonde hair and very sharp cheeks. She always wore the locket my dad got her when I was born. My mom hugged my father. He was a small man; I think he used to get beat up in high school. I felt bad for him. My dad hugged my mom back and told her everything was going to be alright, as he did everyday. "How are you Danny?" She asked me.

"It hurts today." I answered her.

"I'm so sorry honey." She said to me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." I smiled weakly.

My parents turned to walk out of the room, but I needed to tell them. "Wait, mom, dad," I said. I cleared my throat then said, "Please wait." They turned around and looked at me oddly.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for making you guys live in misery. I'm sorry." I said as I looked at my legs.

"Danny this is not your fault. Don't you dare blame yourself." She said. She looked over at my dad and he walked over to us.

"Son, this isn't your fault. You had nothing to do with anything. It's unfortunate that this all happened to you." My dad said, putting a hand on my shoulder, basically telling me, "You're dead, dude."

"I'm going to die." I said.

"No, no you're not." My mom said.

"I want to die. I'm so weak. Please, there's nothing you can do."

"Stop it! Stop it right now." My mom begged, tears falling from her eyes.

"Mom, it's true and you know it."

"Honey, you're a fighter. You will get through this." She smiled at me as she sat beside me. My dad joined us by pulling up a spare chair.

"It hurts, mom." I said to her, softly.

"You're such a strong man, sweetie. I'm so peoud of you." She said as she pushed my bangs off my forehead.

"I know I don't have much time left. I can feel it." I said.

"Danny, no matter what happens, you know that we love you." My dad said to me.

"I love you too." I said and then began coughing harshly, blood forming in my mouth.

My mom held a garbage can up for me and I spat into it. She then helped me sip a glass of water. I took a a couple deep breaths, but hardly any oxygen came into my lungs. "Oh honey." My mom sighed.

"I'm okay with dying." I said to her. "I want you to be, too."

She nodded as a tear fell down ber cheek. "I love you, Daniel."

"Danny, you're the best son a father could have ever asked for." My dad said to me.

"I love you guys so much. Thank you for everything."

Later, my dad went to work and my mom stayed with me the rest of the night. I couldn't sleep. I laid awake in bed, looking up at the ceiling while my mother sat, asleep in the recliner in the corner of the room.

I looked up and stared at the ceiling. I stared at the ceiling for a long time. I then closed my eyes and exhaled as long as I could. Everything went silent and I felt like I was floating. I saw a bright light really far away from me. Then, everything went completely black.