15

Before The Phone Call. Dominic Hayes

My eyes slowly opened as pain shot through my body. I groaned and tried to move but realized I was restrained. As my vision grew clearer, I realized that I was in an empty room. It had no windows, made of concrete, and just a steel door. What is going on?

"Help!" I yelled trying to pull my hands out the ropes they were tied in. Pain instantly shot threw my lungs. It was so hot in this room, making it even harder to breathe.

The last thing I remember was walking into my apartment when something went across my head, the person started beating the crap out of me before knocking me out cold. I knew Layton was behind this.

I should've known better than to think she would let me being a cop go that easily. She claimed to be so hurt but does some crazy stuff like this. She swore she loved me. I wanted to help her avoid going to jail. I guess I deserve this for lying to her. Trying to get out of the chair I was in once again, I eventually gave up. The more I moved the more my body ached.

My last memories on earth are sitting in a dark room. I always knew being in Narcotics and doing Undercover work could get me put in some sketchy situations. Being a police alone is a sketchy situation. Every day you step foot outside your home, there's a 50/50 chance you might not make it back. Now look at me.

Ain't no getting out of this so I might as well accept my fate. Closing my eyes I got ready to ask God to forgive me for everything I had done wrong, but I was interrupted by the steel door hitting the wall. I slowly opened my eyes and squinted due to the light shining through.

A body soon appeared then slowly walked up to me. I was trying to see who it was but the sun was stopping that. Eventually, the person's face came into view.

"Captain! You don't know how happy I am to see you." Weight lifted off my shoulders. She smirked but never moved to let me loose.

"You gone help me out or just fucking stand here?" I asked. She laughed while grabbing a chair and sitting in front of me. My eyebrows furrowed cause I was confused right now.

"I can't do that Hayes." She said.

"What? What the fuck is going on?!"

"I'm just doing my job. Layton paid me to kill you."

"WHAT?! She doesn't even know you!"

"She does, besides Damon, I was her other insider."

"If that's the case, why didn't you blow my cover and tell her that I was a cop? Why would you put me on a case, you knew everything about?"

"I thought about it but then I would've got caught up in some shit. Think about it, the only people who knew about you being undercover besides yourself were the Chief and Adonis. I always knew his past with Layton. Besides I knew you'd end up being dumb and fucking her then you'd tell on yourself. How do you think Michael got your badge number and that picture of you? I paid Holly to tell him. Fate happened when he walked into the strip club. I gave her 100,000 dollars to tell him everything. Yet, Michael didn't snitch on you. You snitched on yourself." She said laughing. Wow, just fucking wow. I die by this woman.

"I can't believe this shit!"

"You thought by running and telling Layton about her house being raided she was going spare your pathetic life?" She laughed again.

"I thought you were smarter than that Dominic. You were my best Detective but you didn't see me right under your nose.."

"All these years. I looked up to you. You were my mentor. How could you?!"

"I treated you like a son Hayes, but you got cocky. You started getting credit for everything the Chief acted like you were the only motherfucka working hard. You became lead detective and if it wasn't for me half of those cases that you got credit for would've never been solved. I got sick of sitting back and watching you getting all the glory and then bragging about it. Now it's my turn. When I go back and tell Chief that I had to kill you because you turned on me and I tell him how you told Layton about the raid and helped her get away, I'll get all the shine."

"You will need proof."

"I got proof. Once Layton gave me your license plate number once you left her crib. That'll show that you went there after we found out about the warrant. I got text messages because you dumb and must've forgotten that no matter what you do, I can still get your phone records. Finally, I'll get the recognition I deserve while you rot in the afterlife. If only you could've seen the look on my face when she told me to kill you. I was more than happy to."

"Well, do it then. You said all you had to say now go ahead and kill me." Another smile fell across her face. If I wasn't tied up I would've choked this woman with my bare hands. You really can't trust anybody out here. The woman that I love and thought she loved me sent the person that I considered family to kill me. This was just all types of fucked up.

She stood up pulling her gun from her holster. I closed my eyes and held my head down just waiting for what will come next. I just ask that god forgive me for all my wrongs. And that he comforts my mom once she has to bury her only son.

"See you in hell, Hayes." I heard the gun off but I didn't feel any pain. I wasn't the one shot. I opened my eyes seeing Captain's body fall with four bullet holes in her. I looked up seeing Rick coming towards me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him and he untied me.

"Saving your ass obviously. Come on Dom." He helped me up I could barely stand due to the bruises. He got me in the car. Once he was in she started driving.

"Thanks, Rick, you are loyal to Layton so why are you here?"

"Because this is wrong. You don't need to go out like that." I nodded.