24

Same Day. Layton Brooks

I put Royalty in the car and drove off. I made a decision that since they knew where we lived I was going to drive to the safe house I got.

"You alright baby?" I said and she looked at me.

"Yes. Thank you for coming to get me, Mommy." She said and my heart melted.

"When's the last time you ate?" I figured if they were beating her, they couldn't have been feeding her.

"Um, when I was with grandma." She said and my heart broke. That had to be at least almost two days ago.

"Okay, when we get home you want me to cook for you or do you want Daddy to bring you a happy meal from McDonald's?" I said and she shook her head.

"I want chicken nuggets!" She said with excitement and I smiled.

"Okay, I'll make you some chicken nuggets when we get home." I said and she leaned across the console and hugged my arm.

"Royalty?" I said.

"Huh?" She said.

"Did let anyone touch your area?" She knew what I was talking about. She shook her head. I looked to see if she was lying and she was telling the truth. I let go of the breath I didn't even know I was holding.

"Okay good. Are you okay?" I said and she nodded.

"I'm okay now." She said and we listened to music the whole way back. We pulled into the house and I took my key out and opened the door. I locked the door back and turned on the lights. I got her some chicken nuggets and fries out of the freezer and put them in the oven.

"Come on let's go put you in some clothes." I said and she ran up the stairs. She knew where her room was because I brought her here sometimes. We got to her room and I went to her drawers and put her in some pajamas. My phone started ringing. Incoming Call: Dommy.

"Hello?" I said and I heard him sigh.

"Baby, did y'all make it in the house yet?" He asked.

"Yes, I was just gonna call and check on you. I went to the safe house, so just come here. I'm going to give her a bath soon. These wounds have to start healing immediately before they become permanent." I said.

"Yes, I'm okay, but make sure every door in that house is locked. Make sure all the windows are closed and y'all stay put in our room okay? I'll be at the house soon. I know your crazy ass got your gun on you. Keep it on your side ma, that nigga been watching us. I know you said I don't have to worry about you but, it's us against them. I got you like you got me." He said and I nodded.

"Okay, I'll be waiting for you." I said.

"Bye, baby. I love you. Be home soon." He said.

"I love you too. Be safe." He said okay then hung up.

"Royalty we have to run downstairs and lock all the doors and grab your food then we go get you in the tub okay?" I told her and she nodded.

"Race you down the stairs!" She said and took off.

"Be careful." I laughed, she's so full of joy. She's acting like nothing happened. At four years old she was faster than me. We ran down the stairs and I followed her to the back and locked the back door. We finished running around the house. Shit, I'm gone have to lose some weight fucking with this little girl. We ran into the laundry room. She pointed to the door and I went and locked it too.

"Okay now let's go get your food." I said and she started smiling. I took her food out of the oven and put it on a plate. I got a bottle of ketchup and gave it to her.