14

"Hibiki." Douma's voice was cold and angry and so... genuine, the addressed demon froze in his tracks, his eyes meeting the rainbow ones of the Uppermoon whose expression matched his voice.

Fuck.

"Douma? What happened?" Hibiki asked, drawing a tense smile on his face.

"You happened."

"Hm? What?"

Douma's eyes narrowed and he stalked closer, Hibiki taking a step back. Leaves crunched underneath them, the trees surrounding the two demons keeping the sound from spreading far. "You... you fucking bastard," he hissed, his plaited blond hair swinging forward slightly.

"What the fuck did I do? You won the bet!! God, what's gotten into you?" Hibiki asked, putting his hands up in a form of surrender.

"The bet! It's all the bet! Your bet cost me Akaza-dono!" Douma snapped, his voice breaking at the name. He couldn't do this.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"I loved him! It wasn't about the bet! It wasn't about winning! It wasn't about you!! It was about Akaza-dono! I loved him! But now he hates me. Because of you!" he shouted, his hand racking through his messy hair. Akaza's hands had done this before—though more gently. More lovingly. He wouldn't do that again, would he? Not now. Not when Hibiki had fucked things up.

"Ohhh, so you fell in love with him? And now he revealed he doesn't love you because the bet is over or something?" Hibiki asked, unsure what was going on.

"No. We both loved each other. We had something. And then you went along and ruined it!" Douma cried out, feeling hysterical and hopeless. He didn't want to lose Akaza. He didn't want this to end.

But it wasn't the end yet, right? He should just... just go and... and explain to Akaza.

Explain what? It really had been a bet. It had started as one, at least. A bet. Akaza had been simply a bet.

Even though... even if Douma had fallen for him, it had to hurt if you were told your boyfriend only had pursued you for a stupid bet, no? For pride?

He wouldn't know. Douma wouldn't know how it felt. He was shit at emotions. He didn't know what to do. How to help. How to fix it.

And it was Hibiki's fault. Hibiki's fault he had to fix anything!

He fought back the tears he knew were coming. The ones Akaza has taught him about. Why they were caused.

Tears came when you felt strong emotions or pain.

Now... it was fury. No, perhaps fear. Or... misery. Guilt. Or all. No one ever said you could only feel one at once.

Douma found himself trying to scoop out all of his emotions, all of the bad ones making him cry, all of them but the guilt.

He grabbed them and threw them into his strength, fighting the urge to freeze the whole world. He closed his eyes and let out a breath. There was a lone demon slayer a bit away. He just needed their katana. That was all he needed.

He opened his eyes and quickly, he froze Hibiki in place.

"Wait for me. Wait for your death," the blond said quietly, his voice too calm for it to be true.

And in a split second he was at the demon slayer's side. They didn't notice anything as he took their katana and knocked them out. He didn't get about them. They didn't matter at the moment. Nobody mattered except Akaza.

Douma turned back, the katana in hand.

Hibiki, frozen in the ground, watched the Uppermoon with eyes full of fear. Good. He deserved fear and pain and every fucking little piece of shit for making Akaza cry.