*~ Aether And Xiao - Puppy Love - Genshin ~*

Where Xiao is an annoyed black cat and Aether is that one adorable Golden Retriever, two unlikely souls dumbly in love with each other. 

~*~

"So you're just going to let those bullies do whatever they want to you? Look at all this mess....." Xiao grumbled as his tail flicked with disapproval. He wasn't all that pleased after seeing Aether return home, drenched in stinking mud and covered in awful bruises. There were also sticks and leaves stuck in his blonde hair, as well as the awful stench of leftover food and blood. The owner of them both who was Zhongli focused on fixing Aether's wounds, looking worried. "Who the hell did this to you? Give me their names and I'll hunt them down to fucking hell." 

The Golden Retriever, his tail and ears drooping sadly, pouted back, "I thought they wanted to play, they even had a ball with them." Yet this wasn't enough to convince Xiao who looked even angrier, hissing lowly. 

He retorted coldly, tapping his claws, "You're so dumb, at least consider what kind of people they are before joining them. Mixing with the wrong group out there will get your ass beat or worse, they'll take you in just to abuse the hell out of you for life. I'll never let that happen to you, Aether." 

Hearing those scary yet reassuring words, Aether's fluffy ears and tail perked up as he beamed and leaned in  and snuggled up to Xiao. "Aw, you're the best, thank you!" His tail was wagging enthusiastically and Zhongli chuckled at him. 

Caught off guard, Xiao flinched and recoiled in shock, "Wait, what are you doing? Get off me, you'll mess up my fur! Aether, stop it! No, don't lick me-!" But that had failed to stop the Golden Retriever from showering Xiao with all the love and affection he could possibly offer, the injuries on his body long forgotten. 

"Seriously, what will I do without you?" He barked cheerfully, resting his head on Xiao's shoulder as his fluffy tail was still wagging away. 

"Ugh, you're such a pain, always taking everything a little too seriously." Unbeknownst to the Black Cat, his long slender tail had instinctively tangled itself around Aether, pulling him close. "If something like this happens again, who's gonna be there to chase those suckers off? If you're looking for someone to play with, then can't you just ask me?" 

There was a pause. Since Zhongli was there to mend his wounds, Aether chose not to move but his eyes were fixed on Xiao, lost in those beautiful golden eyes that shone as bright as his fur. Daring himself to move closer, he softly mumbled, "I have nothing to worry about because I know.....you're always by my side." 

Now that really shook Xiao to the core. He was stunned speechless, quickly turning away as his ears dropped in embarrassment. He let out a shy little meow, "Crazy bastard, don't get ahead of yourself. I was just.....worried about you, that's all." 

Well that was how Xiao normally behaved, all cold and reserved and Aether was used to it. Although he may come off as sometimes rude and a little too straightforward, yet he knew deep down that Xiao just had issues trying to express his emotions the way he wanted. That was what drew them together and forming quite a bond, when Zhongli had once adopted them both as strays. 

Once Zhongli was done, he left to prepare their meals. Taking this chance, Xiao turned to Aether and gently took hold of his chin, examining the bandaged wounds. "Just how are you so plain stupid but still managed to survive this long is beyond me." 

He whimpered back sadly, lowering his head slightly, "What do you mean? I'm not stupid...." Seeing Aether in such a state made Xiao lick his lips cunningly, amused by how adorable he looked when Aether was pawing at Xiao with those cute puppy eyes. The Black Cat always had such a soft spot whenever Aether pulled this trick on him, it was annoying yet he could never get enough it. He probably never will. 

The Black Cat teasingly planted a kiss on Aether's lips and answered, smoothly wiping away a spot of blood on his face. "I'll gladly play with you as much as you want, my Aether, just say the word and I'll be there." This made the Golden instantly blush in response, then burst out giggling. 

And that was how the Black Cat and the overexcited Golden Retriever spent the entire day playing without a care in the world. 

Well, except for how they had both shattered Zhongli's favorite wine.

*~*

End.