this year to save me from tears, i'll give it to someone special 2/2

Andrea isn't intimidating in the same way Ed can be; she's not a booming figure...one eyebrow raise from his dad, you knew he meant business.

She's not formidable in the same way Tree is, either. Tree could end someone with a glance. Even Taylor, who by all intents and purposes, is her boss, has a healthy dose of fear... she just commanded that much respect.

But Andrea is quietly powerful, like her daughter, an entire history going on behind wise blue eyes. She's not one to mince words, tells it like it is and he appreciates that whole heartedly, loves people who can speak honestly, but truth be told, it's nothing he hasn't thought about before.

He thinks about Kayla, how she had made clear she'd expected a proposal and it was most decidedly a huge reason why they broke up. It hadn't been his intention to string her along or anything else she'd accused him of, but he'd been dragging his feet and he couldn't quite pinpoint why, not for a long time.

It was easy to be sure with Taylor... he'd been absolutely sure, a month in, that he wanted to marry her. Of course, he hadn't come out and brought any of those thoughts up to Taylor, extremely careful of both his words and actions in those early days. But the feeling had remained as their relationship grew and they became as close as two people could.

There's a moment where he has to take a deep breath, gather his thoughts so that he doesn't say the wrong thing. He's way better about sticking his foot in his mouth than before and Taylor deserves the credit for the change in mindfulness as he observes how eloquently she chooses her words.

"Mrs. Swift," Travis begins, sitting on the edge of the chair, both hands on both knees, "Taylor and I...we've talked a lot about the past and the future. I can tell you until I'm blue in the face how much I love her, but she's my everything. She's changed my life. I know how wild that sounds. Believe me, it's the absolute truth. She makes me better, you know?"

"Oh, Travis, please understand, you make her better, too. She was so sad for such a long while, years, if we're being honest and to see her smiling again, being so confident, well, it's been amazing."

She takes a minute, regarding him kindly. "Honey, I don't doubt for a single second you love her. I see it with my own eyes and I see how much she loves you back. I also know what you two have is much different from other relationships she's been in. It isn't the amount of time, either...I believe after a few months, you either know or you don't."

He has a sudden awareness of exactly why she's urging him to be cautious, to be one hundred percent sure. As a first hand witness to a huge heartbreak, he completely understands why she'd offer the advice she was.

"You don't need my blessing. You both already have it. You know that. All I want for Taylor, for both of my children, is for them to be happy. For someone to be there for her, even when things aren't so great. I know that's you. You've proved it, time and time again. You probably think I'm some kind of crazy, over protective, old bat..."

Vehemently, he shakes his head. "I think you love your daughter and you want the best for her. There's nothing wrong with that. I know Tay is who she is because of you and Scott. You guys are amazing parents."

"Takes one to know one," she smiles as he rises to hug her. "I love you, honey. I don't want you to think what I said means anything other than just me being a mom."

"Love you, too." He embraces her gently. "I promise you, I'll make her so happy. Treat her right."

"You already do, so I'm not worried. I'm just excited we get to be a part of it. It means the world...to her father, too."

"Wouldn't have it any other way."

When they join everyone else in the dining room, Taylor's in the middle of a conversation with Kylie, but when she sees them both come in, she's vaugely concerned, excusing herself.