Chapter 7

Touma Kamijou yawned as he got inside his vertically challenged teacher's house, which looked like there were no traces of blood or anything looking out of place within the small space.

After getting a scolding from Komoe-sensei, Kamijou was left at her house, as she left to buy some groceries, apparently; leaving him alone with Index, and his own thoughts.

What happened last night was trippy, to say the least.
All he remembered was going home to check things out, and then... and then...

(That's weird. Could've sworn I've done something after that. But, what was it?)

Well, it probably wasn't important right now.

Kamijou listened to Index as she explained to him the history of the Christian Church, all the dirty baggage to go with it, and her supposed role as the "index of forbidden books", for a group called Necessarius, or "The Church of Necessary Evil".

"My purpose as the Index Librorum Prohibitorum is the counter the effects of dangerous magics, by forcing me to read all 103,000 of the world's available grimoires. If a spell managed to get out of control, I get brought in to dispel it safely and without casualties. Such is the duty of Necessarius."

"All this, for a bunch of magic books? But if they're so dangerous why can't you just burn it and get it done?"

"The form might be destroyed, but the idea of the text lives on; even if you destroy the original text it'll just jump over to another medium. That's the most dangerous thing with grimoires, anything in this world can be used as a vessel for a grimoire. Even if the world was destroyed, their poison will transfer to other worlds, possibly until the end of time. That's how dangerous these grimoires are.

And you don't have to be a talented magician to make a grimoire; several of them were created by high-profile writers and authors. Think of one such author, and you can bet there is a grimoire connected to them."

Kamijou took this all in. And he didn't like every single part of it.

"Why didn't you stay behind with me? I could've protected you a lot better, and all this could've been avoided."

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry? That's what you say to me? What do you think I am, someone you should protect!?"

"..."

Kamijou sighed. He got up, and before she could get a word out he vanished from the room, and 2 seconds later came back with a red can. Placing it on the floor he sat back on the pillow laid next to Index's futon. "I am but one of the 2.8 million students living here om Academy City. Do you think I wouldn't be able to take care of myself if I hadn't lived here for so long?"

"Wait, that explains how you got back that fast yesterday. I didn't really think much of it because I was so hungry but it makes so much sense!"

"...I should be the one to say sorry. Your risking your life to protect me was unnecessary, but me not doing anything to help you out was my fault, and I bear the responsibility of failure to protect you."

"...Well, couldn't be helped anyway. At least you did save me last night, so better late than never. And I owe you a lot for involving yourself into my world and not hesitating to help me, even if it took you a while.c

"I promise you, it will never be a problem in the future."

"Thank you."

Kamijou and Index sat in silence, an agreement struck between the two teens.

Somewhere in the distance, two differently dressed individuals watched over them. One held a pair of binoculars, while the other stood beside him.

"How's Index?"