16.

16.

It was five days later and a lot had happened in the past few days. Chris, Lizzie, Jane and Maeve were starting to get used to each other, but it was still difficult. Jane was afraid of Dodger and Maeve slept very poorly. She suffered from nightmares every night.

Chris and Lizzie had had a lot of contact with the police in recent days and it is becoming increasingly clear what has happened to Maeve and Jane over the past four years.

The suspect has also confessed in the case, which means that the man is now under lock and key. A big relief for the family, but it does not take away their concerns. Their sudden family turns their entire lives upside down.

Fortunately, the family receives a lot of help. The police have referred the twins to a special child psychologist. Lizzie and Chris registered the twins as soon as they heard about it. Maybe the psychologist could help Maeve with her sleeping problems. It could well be that the nightmares come from something in the past.

It was Wednesday afternoon. Lizzie was sitting on the couch reading a book, Chris was working on his laptop and the children were playing with the Barbies together.

The doorbell rang. 'Who is that again?' Lizzie asked with a frown. 'No idea. I'll open the door.' Chris put his reading book aside and walked to the front door. He opened the door and to his surprise Scarlett was standing at the door with Rose and Cosmo.

"Scar, what are you doing here?" Chris asked in surprise. "I'll come and check on you." Scarlett said. "Listen Scar, I really appreciate it, but I don't think this is a good time. The girls need to get used to it a bit before we let other people in. My mother hasn't even come yet.' Chris said. "Maybe they actually enjoy playing with Rose." Scarlett suggested.

"Chris, who's there?" Lizzie walked to the door and smiled awkwardly when she saw Scarlett. "Hey Scarlett." She greeted her old colleague. "Hey Lizzie, good to see you again." Scarlett smiled kindly. 'Yes. Likewise. What are you coming to do?' Lizzie asked. She looked at Rose.

"Playing with Jane and Maeve." Rose said before Scarlett could say anything. 'Oh. I don't know if that's a good idea.' Lizzie said looking at Chris and Scarlett. "Come on Lizzie. It's fun for Jane or Maeve to play with someone. If it doesn't work out, we'll be gone soon.' Scarlett promised her.

"Chris, can I speak to you alone for a moment?" Lizzie asked. Chris wanted to answer but Lizzie was already pulling him away. "I don't know if this is a good idea." Famous Lizzie. "Lizzie, they've been here for five days and you heard Scarlett. If it doesn't work out, she'll be gone again in no time.'

Lizzie looked at Scarlett. 'Okay then.' Lizzie reluctantly agreed. Chris and Lizzie walked back. "Okay, we'll see how it goes." Lizzie said. 'Yay!' Rose shouted happily.

They all walked inside. In the living room, Jane and Maeve were sitting on the couch playing with their Barbie dolls. They looked up in surprise when they saw strange people walking into the room. "Jane and Maeve, this is Aunt Scarlett." Chris suggested Scarlett.

"And I'm Rose." Rose immediately walked over to the girls and sat down next to Maeve on the couch. "I'm Maeve and this is Jane." Maeve replied. 'That's my brother Cosmo, but he can't talk yet. He's still a baby.' Rose pointed to Cosmo. Jane and Maeve smiled weakly.

'See. It's going really well.' Scarlett said softly. Lizzie nodded, but she wasn't entirely sure yet. 'I'll just go to the shops. I'll be right back.' Chris said. 'Hey. I just got here.' Scarlett shouted. 'I'll be gone for half an hour at most. I have to get medicine for Maeve and the bread is gone. If I don't go now, we'll have a problem tomorrow.'

'Windshield then. I'll keep Lizzie company.' Scarlett winked at Lizzie. "I won't be gone long." Chris promised the ladies. He said goodbye to everyone and left for the shops.

'Do you want something to drink?' Lizzie asked. 'Yes Nice. Just make me a cup of coffee.' Scarlett replied. Lizzie walked to the kitchen and Scarlett followed her. She still had Cosmo in her arms. "Lizzie, are you okay?" Scarlett asked worriedly. 'Yes.' Lizzie replied as she grabbed glasses.

Scarlett gave her a typical mother look. Lizzie sighed. 'These are just busy days. I'll be fine.' She said. 'I can imagine that these are busy days. It must be no small feat to suddenly live with Chris and be the mother of two four-year-olds.' Scarlett said. 'I'll be fine.'

'Are you sure? You look tired.' Found Scarlett. "Are you here to continue commenting or keep me company?" Lizzie asked irritably. 'Sorry. I just want to help.' Scarlett mumbled. 'It's okay. I'm just a little tired.' Lizzie admitted. 'Why don't you sit down for a moment? Then I'll make something to drink for the children.' Scarlett gave Cosmo to Lizzie. Lizzie looked at the baby in her arms. Cosmo looked at her with his big green eyes.

'Have a seat.' Scarlett said. Lizzie sat down at the kitchen table and Scarlett made drinks for the children. "Girls, drink!" Scarlett shouted when she had poured three glasses of apple juice. Rose, Maeve and Jane came running into the kitchen. 'Look.' Scarlett gave each of the girls a glass. 'Thank you.' All three said in unison.