Chapter 5: Bangin

"You, sir... have a job."

Fresh King quietly gasped. "You- you sure?"

"Positive. This mission will require you to be alert and careful at the same time. You and-"

"Thorry I'm late, thir. Traffic wath a b*tch."

Jay rolled his eyes, and Mr. Stokes smirked as Eczavier interrupted the conversation.

"Nice of you to join us, Eczavier. Jaelen's in."

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah." Jay replied, looking back at the seemingly stressed ECZ.

"You guys will go along with Tone and deliver to a couple of Domingo Colon's guys. This one is very important. This sh*t... Is pure. This can blow a hole in a battleship. But it's light enough to hold in your hand. Domingo trusts me with this, so you gotta be careful. This that top level, Grade A military Justin Hammer type sh*t."

"Weapons?" Jay asked, feeling both intrigued and nervous at the same time. He knew his parents wouldn't want him in the drug business, but this? This was a whole other thing that he had not prepared for.

"100 large per case, I'm offering Domingo a cool mil to get this transported. Jaelen, you get one half to transport, and Eczavier, you get another half. My team will help you out. Since this is your first job, and since y'all are tryna get up on the stage, I'm offering you both $5000 for this one night."

Jay's jaw physically dropped. "You serious?"

Cornell laughed. "You must be really new to this, huh?"

"Tho... We just tranthport it and give it to Colon'th guyth and that'th it?" Eczavier asked.

"They'll call to confirm, then you're set to pick up the money. If I can trust you with this, maybe I'll think about letting the both of you perform. If your music is as real as you say, you better be living it."

Fresh considered all this, knowing it was dangerous, but understanding that an offer like this from a man close to the councilwoman was not one to refuse. He was all in.

Jaelen nodded. "Ok, sir. We won't let you down. Right, Eczavier?"

ECZ looked at Jay with seemingly annoyed eyes, but stuck to his word. "Yeah, I gotchu."

Maybe he was jealous of Fresh for rising up so quickly, but the rapper had to remind himself that this was still at the bottom of the totem pole as far as this place was concerned. Jaelen didn't need to worry about Eczavier just yet. He'd gotten him there, and he could thank him for that. But now, they had to get to work.

"Go out the back, Tone will be there and he'll give the go when it's time."

"Thank you, sir." Jay finished and turned around.

"No, Mr. Williams. Thank you."

The Fresh King of New York and Eczavier Okoye made their way back down the stairs.

"Bro, why you gotta be late?" Jay harshly whispered as they walked away from the boss man.

"Like I thaid, traffic wath-"

"You don't drive in Harlem, and you were there on time yesterday. If we gotta work together, we gotta be honest, and you straight up lied to Cornell Stokes!"

"I wath in the middle of coaching a boxing match, bro! Thometimeth jobth conflict!"

"Then tell him that!"

"I can't look bad in front of him!"

"You already did." Jay reminded.

Eczavier kissed his teeth. "Whatever, bro. Through here."