Chapter 16: Dominique Lippolis

The one person he could ask for advice; the woman who had inspired him to rap and become The Fresh King Of New York in the first place.

Quite a few years back, Jae-Len Williams was at The Academy Charter Middle School, and Miss Bermeo was in the middle of teaching her class.

"Ok." She finished. "So, does anybody have any hidden talents that they'd like to share today?"

"I do." A voice said from the other side of the room.

There sat Jaelen, later known as The Fresh King Of New York.

"What's your talent, sir?" Miss Bermeo asked.

"I would like to, uh, rap for the class."

"Alright! Come on over. Let's see it."

Jay got up and walked to the front of the class. This was his moment. He took a deep breath.

My name is Jaelen
You saw me when I came in
You already know that I ain't playin'
I'm spitting on the mic, and I do it all night

He started to walk back to his seat, but-

"Booooo!" The taunting came from Miss Bermeo, in the back of the room. "That was the worst rap I've ever heard!"

The other students laughed as the teacher shook her thumbs down at the boy.

"Boooo! That was the worst rap I've ever heard in my life, boooooo! Terrible."

Jaelen shook his head, waved his hand in dismiss and left the classroom, wondering why a teacher like Miss Bermeo would hate on a rap so fire. He'd worked so hard on those 4 lines just to get booed? What kind of place was this?

But 2 years later, he transferred to Vincent Smith School, dedicated to excellence in education and founded in 1924. This private school for grades 1-12 offers individualized instruction and a nurturing environment for students with learning disabilities. And Jay seemed to fit in with this institution.

Here, Miss Dominique was in the middle of teaching her class.

She made a circle with her meter stick around the whiteboard. "And these... are the locations in New York." She stepped towards the front of the room.

"So guys, that's about it for today. Why don't we, uhh, you guys can have the last 5?" She paused, waiting for an answer. "How's that sound?"

"Yay!" Matt Vigliotti exclaimed while pumping his fist in the air.

Dominique stepped back and hopped up on her desk, her feet dangling.

"So Dom," Jay said, "Do you know about the Aladdin movie that's about to come out?"

"Yeah, I actually heard about it. Which, it's actually funny that you say that, because, you actually remind me of Will Smith. You know who Will Smith is?"

The boy nodded. "Yeah."

"In The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air?"

"Yeah, I watch it every day."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Dominique sat back. "Hmm. This kind of gives me an idea."

"What is it?"

"Hmmm... The Fresh King Of New York..."

May 3rd of 2019 was the Inauguration Day. Jaelen kneeled down to receive his paper crown from Dominique Lippolis.