Chapter 4: All In

This was it.

Niayrah looked at Jaelen, who had just taken a deep breath. "You ok?"

Jay glanced back at his girl. "Uh, yeah. I'm good."

"You sure you wanna do this?" She asked, her eyes a bit skeptical.

The rapper faced the club again. "Yeah. I'mma go in."

As expected, there was a man standing outside the door.

"Name?"

"Jaelen Williams. ECZ sent me."

The guard raised his eyebrows for a second, then smiled as the man himself tapped his shoulder. "Yooo, Freth King! You made it!"

"Oh, they're with you? Yeah, come on in."

"Huh. It actually worked." Niayrah commented.

"Welcome... To Harlem'th Paradithe." Eczavier said, still bearing his strong lisp.

Christone "Kingfish" Ingram stood on the stage with his guitar, singing The Thrill Is Gone with the soulful tone he was known for.

Jay looked around. This was definitely a legit place. Real artists, real people, real drinks.

"Bro, you sure we're allowed here?" He asked with valid reasoning. "Me and Niayrah aren't 21 yet."

"They don't know that. And you don't gotta drink." ECZ replied.

"But... isn't that illegal?" He whispered back.

Eczavier laughed. "There'th a lotta thit that goeth down here. Jutht be chill."

"I still think he's faking the lisp." Niayrah said to her boyfriend softly.

"I mean, it's like he said. Be chill."

The overall atmosphere was relaxed and everyone seemed to be just having a good time. But Eczavier's comment made Jay unsure. Yeah, there was definitely a bar and a dancefloor, and the music was official.

"Look at that thtage! I can get you up there."

"Yeah... you said that. How exactly can you do that?"

"Oh, well that'th eathy. You gotta talk to the owner, and luckily, I know him."

Fresh raised his eyebrows. "You know the owner of Harlem's Paradise?"

"Yeah, he'th right up there with hith couthin Mariah. Cornell Thoketh."

"What'd he say?" Niayrah asked.

"Cornell Stokes." Jaelen repeated.

"His enemieth call him Cottonmouth, he hateth that name. But you can jutht call him Mr. Thoketh."

"Well, how do we get up there?"

"Eathy. I work for him, and onthe he'th done talking with thothe guyth over there, we can go up the thairth. He'th ethpecting me."

Jay looked over at Niayrah, who had a nervous look on her face.

"Unleth you don't wanna talk to him..."

"Babe, are you sure?"

The Fresh King contemplated this. If he talked to Mr. Stokes, he could get a performance on stage. But this all seemed too good to be true. Not the club itself, but Eczavier. He knew more than he was letting on. But... this was the chance of a lifetime.

"Alright. I'll talk to him. But bro... how well do you know this guy? The guard on the outside-"

"Trutht me. If you play your cardth right, you might even be able to work here too. And Mr. Stoketh pays good money."