𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

THE GARDENS OF THE RED KEEP WERE A place of solace for young Daenys Targaryen

Her blue eyes fluttered open to find Princess Helaena staring down at her with a breathtaking smile on her lips. Long fingers combed through her red curls, hoping to disentangle the wild muss.

"Did you fall asleep?" inquired Helaena, glancing up to see the tree branches that danced in communion with the mild wind. "I think you did."

"For a moment, yes," Daenys admitted with a chuckle. "I could not resist it. You have been massaging the back of my neck for the past hour."

"You were stressed, I thought you might need it," Helaena explained. "What got you in that state?"

Daenys hesitated briefly. "Everything."

"Well, that is not very specific," Helaena chortled, peering down at her curiously.

Daenys exhaled loudly and pulled herself into a sitting position next to her older sister. "Mother. Rhaenyra, the court. Everyone seems to think that I am a bastard. Aemond made fun of me."

Bemused, Helaena asked, "Why would he do that?"

"Because he is a twat," Daenys retorted sharply. "Fine, maybe he is not, but when he is under the influence of Aegon, he can be a snake."

Helaena made a sour face at the mention of her betrothed, which Daenys noticed immediately. Marrying Aegon Targaryen was the equivalent to a death sentence and they could not understand why their mother had made such a rash decision.

Daenys tried to soothe her. "Do not worry, I will always be here. If he tries to hurt you, I will make sure that he pays for it. Aemond will too."

Helaena shook her head. "I do not want to think about it. I want to enjoy the few years I have left, and I want to enjoy them with you."

Daenys grinned widely, cupping Helaena's cheeks between her palms. "As do I, sister."

She rose to her feet and extended her hand, waiting for Helaena to accept it. "Where are we going?"

"We are going for a walk," Daenys informed. "I wish to pick out some flowers for Aemond."

"Were you not cross with him?" Helaena asked, frowning in confusion. "I thought you were."

She wrinkled her nose. "Well, yes." Helaena scrambled upwards and both laughed in amusement. "The flowers will probably make him mad. Most boys do not like them."

"Or pretend not to," Helaena added.

"Exactly," Daenys said, winking at her. "But we can also try to find some interesting bugs in the garden. I know you like them very much."

Helaena nodded, barely containing her excitement. With their hands intertwined, the Targaryen girls sprinted towards the endless rows of flowers and vegetation, determined to compose a beautiful bouquet. With the beginning of spring, the gardens had become colorful and filled with life again.

Daenys plucked out a white rose and brought it to her nose, grinning. "These are lovely."

Helaena broke the stem to make it shorter and tucked the flower behind her ear. "You are lovely."

Daenys pouted. "Great, now I want a wreath."

"I can make you one. It is easy," Helaena offered.

"But you need one too," Daenys pointed out. "That way, we can both be queens of flowers."

That was how they spent the remainder of their afternoon, making crowns of flowers, preparing a bouquet for Aemond, and searching for different insects that Helaena could keep and care for.

When the sun began to set, Aemond appeared in the gardens with a flushed face and an irritated scowl. He marched over to his two sisters and uttered, "So, this is where you have been hiding all day. Mother has been looking for the both of you. She sent me to find you. She is very angry."

"We were not doing anything wrong," Daenys said, a spark of mischief dancing in her eyes.

Helaena blinked. "Will we get a scolding?"

His eyebrows shot up. "Probably."

"I will talk to Mother, then," Helaena stated and rushed towards the Red Keep, leaving them alone.

"Did she scold you too?" Daenys asked, concerned.

"Yes," Aemond grumbled in annoyance. "For not knowing where you were. As if it were my obligation to know where you are at all times."

Her lips twitched, but she forced herself to keep her head down. "I am sorry, Aemond."

He sighed heavily but made a conscious effort to keep from snapping at her. "Whatever. Anyway, what have you been doing all afternoon?"

Daenys perked up at his question. "Well, since you asked..." she trailed off, revealing the bouquet that she had assembled with Helaena's help.

"Who is that for?" he asked, narrowing his eyes. "Do not tell me this is for one of our nephews."

"No, you idiot," she snapped. "This is for you."

"For me? Why? What have I done to deserve it?"

"Good question," Daenys retorted sarcastically. "Here, take it. This is yours."

Aemond scoffed. "I do not want it."

Her eyes hardened threateningly. "Take it."

"Alright, fine," he huffed, snatching the bouquet from her small hands. "How come you have never offered one of these to Aegon or Daeron?"

Daenys shrugged. "They are mean."

"And I am not?"

"Sometimes you are," she admitted.

Aemond rolled his eyes. Daenys wasn't making any sense but he didn't have the patience to ask more questions and receive vague responses.

"Mother is probably fuming right now, wondering where you are," Aemond remembered, taking hold of her arm. "Let us go back inside."