𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑

AEMOND'S WORDS ECHOED INSIDE HER head like a never-ending whorl

AEMOND'S WORDS ECHOED INSIDE HER head like a never-ending whorl. Something had changed between them. Daenys couldn't pinpoint the moment it happened for certain. Perhaps she already felt that way when they were children, but she hadn't recognized it as such. She was fighting an inner battle, constantly changing her course of action, fluctuating between wanting to do what was right or following her heart. The latter option was the most destructive path, but she couldn't imagine her life without him. She reminded herself that even though her love for him was painfully real, she couldn't be selfish and act on those feelings.

"Jason tells me the Queen has made it official. Prince Aemond and I are to be wedded very soon," Lady Myra declared, picking up her cup of tea.

Daenys stared at her, blankly. "What?"

Her name day had come and gone. The soaring tensions between Prince Aemond and Princess Daenys hadn't gone unnoticed by the Crown during the feast. All of the nobility witnessed how possessive Aemond was of her, which was more than enough to set new rumors in motion about a possible entanglement between the Targaryen siblings. In order to prevent such rumors from spreading, Queen Alicent decided to announce the exact date of her daughter's wedding to Prince Jacaerys. Within a couple of moons, she would be perpetually restrained by the ties of marriage.

Her mother had, however, failed to inform her of the officialization of Aemond's betrothal to Lady Myra. Although it didn't surprise her, it still hurt.

"I was surprised as well," Lady Myra explained, barely managing to contain her victorious tone. "Frankly, I do not know how to feel about it. The date has not been set yet, these details are still to be worked out between our families, but it is official. Soon, I will be Prince Aemond's wife."

Lady Clara and Lady Katlyn exchanged a concerned glance, preferring to remain silent and vigilant. The crescent hostility between Princess Daenys and Lady Myra made the atmosphere thick and heavy around them. It was blatantly obvious that Lady Myra was pleased with the outcome. In spite of her contradictory speeches, this was exactly what she had sought for, to climb a new step on the ladder of power. Daenys could see behind her false pleasantries. She was greedy, just like the rest of her family. Their friendship was never genuine. Growing closer with the Princess and becoming her lady in waiting was just a means to an end, a way to reach her goals, and now it was all clear as day.

Daenys leaned back against the chair and calmly sipped her tea. "Hmm. What should I call you now? Princess Myra? Sister? It hardly suits you."

Lady Myra shifted a little in her spot, becoming uncomfortable. "You can call me by my name, Daenys. We are going to be sisters."

Daenys let out what sounded like a mix of a scoff and a laugh. "I already have two sisters. Rhaenyra and Helaena, as you well remember."

Imitating her nonchalant attitude, Lady Myra shrugged. "Very well, then."