𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

"JACE, GIVE ME A MOMENT, PLEASE

"JACE, GIVE ME A MOMENT, PLEASE. Unfortunately, I am not decent," Daenys stuttered, making haste to tie the knots of her nightgown. Wide-eyed and numb, Aemond glanced at all the corners of her bedchambers, wondering how in the Seven Hells he was going to get out of there. "Aemond," she murmured hurriedly, drawing his attention. "You have to find a place to hide."

"No," he retorted, shaking his head. "No, I do not."

"Please," she pleaded in despair, struggling to finish the last laces. "He cannot see you in here."

His knuckles turned white from clenching his fists too tightly. "What are you so afraid of?"

"I am not afraid!" Daenys whisper-yelled harshly. "But I believe we can be together without causing a scandal. Now go and hide in my closet."

Aemond glowered at her. "I hate you."

Daenys paused near the door, gripping the frame for support. The last thing she wanted was for her time with Aemond to be interrupted, let alone for him to be forced into hiding in her closet so that her betrothed wouldn't find him. Something was seriously wrong with her life. The fact that she didn't have the courage to stand up to her mother and tell her that she didn't wish to marry Jacaerys, but rather Aemond, was the main problem.

She opened the door abruptly and found her future husband patiently waiting for her. "Jace."

"Daenys," he spoke nervously. "Did I disturb your sleep? I know the hour is quite late, forgive me."

"I, uh, yes. I was passed out," she replied clumsily. "But it is quite alright. Do you need something?"

"I could not find sleep. I have been thinking about what Aegon said during supper," Jacaerys stated, catching her reaction. "We need to talk."

"Aegon says a lot of things when he is intoxicated," Daenys explained playfully, cringing at her own response. "Nothing to worry about."

Jacaerys gave her a pointed look. "I believe you know what I am talking about."

Her light-hearted disposition vanished. "Yes. I do."

"Is it true? You and Aemond?"

Her stomach fell into a never-ending void. The sound of his name made her shudder internally. Flashes of the intimate moment between them invaded her mind and senses. Guilt weighed on her chest and made it difficult for her to breathe.

"Of course not," Daenys remarked, a burning sensation filling her cheeks. "That is ridiculous."

Jacaerys shifted uncomfortably. "Is it?"

"Aegon enjoys sowing the seeds of discord when he finds himself bored," Daenys excused, folding her arms in front of her chest. "You know him."

Aemond rolled his eye in annoyance, smothered by a multitude of dresses. His lover was a hoarder, and a skilled liar. He was half-tempted to climb out of her closet and spill the whole truth. He didn't care about the consequences, he was seething.