𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

"HAVE YOU HEARD THE NEWEST GOSSIP about Lord Leygood, Daenys?" inquired Lady Myra of House Lannister with a conspiratorial smirk

Lady Katlyn of House Graceford released a sigh of distaste, tossing her long auburn hair over her shoulder. "I am not certain I want to know."

"Which one is he?" questioned Daenys, furrowing her brow in confusion. "I tend to forget."

"To be fair, he is not worth remembering," Lady Clara of House Oakheart retorted, scanning the throne room to see if she could spot the lord they were whispering about. "I do not understand why that man insists on attending court. None of his daughters will find a husband here. His reputation ruins all the chances they could have had."

"I feel quite sad for them," Lady Katlyn admitted, realizing that she meant it. "From what I have seen, they had the potential to attract multiple suitors. They are dutiful ladies, very beautiful too."

"It is a pity that they come from a smaller house," Lady Myra muttered, her expression filled with anger. "Their father only aims to humiliate their mother. I have heard that he paid for several whores to sleep with him in the Red Keep and he doesn't even bother to hide them from the servants anymore. He is also a renowned drunk."

"That is horrible!" Daenys exclaimed, crossing her arms in protest. "No woman should have to endure that sort of behavior from her husband."

Her older sister Helaena was trapped in a similar situation, perpetually cursed with a drunk and disloyal husband. Despite having three beautiful children and a wonderful wife, Aegon only cared about drinking, fighting and whoring his way into an early grave. His mind was too poisoned by alcohol to value the few bright lights he had in the midst of the darkness that defined his life. Every now and then, female servants vanished in mysterious ways, never to be seen again in the castle. Nobody dared to speak ill of a crown prince, but there were murmurs of Aegon's twisted desires, rumors that not even the Queen could silence.

"The older son of Lord Costayne does not strike me as that sort of man," Lady Katlyn uttered subtly.

Lady Clara rolled her eyes. "That is what he wants you to believe. He is trying to court you."

"They are all the same," Lady Myra concurred, checking her nails. "I enjoy life in the capital. I do not intend to ruin it by marrying the wrong man."

Daenys exhaled audibly. "I wonder if my betrothed will burden me with the same issues."

Her ladies in waiting exchanged doubtful looks, hesitating to respond. Six years had passed since Princess Rhaenyra abandoned the court of King's Landing to occupy the seat of Dragonstone. None of them knew how her children had turned out.

"Some men are quite honorable," Lady Katlyn said, trying to soothe her nerves. "Not all men have the tendency to do horrible things to their wives."

Daenys smiled wistfully. "That is the hope."