𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

"I WISH WE HAD SPOKEN MORE OFTEN over the years

"I WISH WE HAD SPOKEN MORE OFTEN over the years. When I first learned that you had brought three dragons to life, I was elated by the news," Jacaerys uttered as they paced slowly through the empty corridors of the Red Keep.

The faint music of the feast was no more than a distant reminder of the duties Daenys was currently avoiding. "I should have visited you."

"I do not blame you for keeping your distance," Jacaerys answered reassuringly with a brief smile. "After everything that happened in Driftmark, our families were not on the best of terms."

Daenys gave him a mirthless chuckle. "That is quite an understatement, Jace, but it is all water under the bridge now. I pray that our families can move forward and find some common ground, especially with our... wedding, coming soon."

"Do you still want to marry me?" he questioned, more serious than she had ever heard him.

In spite of her multiple inner doubts, Daenys nodded along. "Of course. What about you?"

"You... are absolutely breathtaking," Jacaerys answered, subtly looking her up and down. "But I fear we hardly know each other anymore. Six years have passed, and we are no longer the same." She scoffed lowly to herself, her mind wandering back to an oddly similar conversation she had shared with Aemond. "My Mother made a suggestion, one that I found to be quite thoughtful. I would like to invite you to come to Dragonstone with me."

There was an awkward moment of pause, then Daenys exhaled anxiously. "I do not know, Jace."

"You have never visited Dragonstone, you have not seen how beautiful it is. I am certain you will love it," Jacaerys pointed out. "And it would not be permanent, if that is what worries you. Two or three moons would be enough for us to get to know one another again, before we finally get married."

Daenys straightened her shoulders, rushing to think of some kind of excuse. "I will have to consult the Queen, of course. I thought perhaps we should do it the other way around. You could stay here."

"If you are more comfortable with that alternative, then I shall send a letter to my Mother," Jacaerys conceded, seemingly undeterred by her uncertainty. "I truly look forward to spending more time with you again, Daenys. I thought a lot about you, all of these years. I have missed you."

His statement made her shudder, but not in a positive manner. Had she missed him as well? Whenever she thought about their betrothal, she felt deeply constricted and terrified. Her heart shattered in a million pieces at the possibility of having to marry someone she did not love. Prince Jacaerys was kind, well-mannered and honorable. He was everything an heir to the Iron Throne should be and more. Why did she not desire him? Could she ever love him? She wondered if there was something wrong with her. What was holding her back from surrendering to him?

"I have missed you too," Daenys found herself saying, her voice small and absent.

Jacaerys must have taken her response as the cue to move closer to her. His hands found the way up to her face and cupped her warm cheeks, taking her by surprise. "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen," he murmured, slightly stunned. Her heart was pounding in her chest and her mind was on high alert, battling the urge to shove him away. She could feel his hot breath on her skin, their faces were mere inches from each other.