𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

FOR THE SOLE SAKE OF MAINTAINING appearances, Daenys and Aemond had agreed to keep their distance from one another

FOR THE SOLE SAKE OF MAINTAINING appearances, Daenys and Aemond had agreed to keep their distance from one another. Until the rumors settled down and Queen Alicent believed their connection had died with the announcement of Aemond's marriage to Lady Myra, they had to make an effort to keep their hands to themselves.

In the weeks that followed, Daenys spent most of her time in the company of Prince Jacaerys. In order to get to know each other better again, the Velaryon boy thought it would be wise to stay in King's Landing. They spent their days strolling through the gardens of the Red Keep, reading together, and riding on horseback. Daenys had introduced him to her three dragons, and much to her surprise, they seemed to approve of him.

Jacaerys was a delightful person, utterly respectful and reliable. It pained her to deceive him.

A part of Daenys had hoped that she would feel differently if she spent more time with Jacaerys. Perhaps she would forget about Aemond and the way he made her feel. Alas, it was all in vain.

"A rose for you," Jacaerys said, plucking a pink rose from the bushes and offering it to her. "Queen of flowers, were you not? You and Helaena."

Daenys accepted the kind gesture and inhaled the rose's scent, smiling nostalgically. "Indeed we were, a long time ago. Thank you, Jace."

"How is your sister doing these days?" Jacaerys questioned, tucking his hands behind his back. "She must be very busy with the children."

Daenys visited her older sister, her nephews and her niece as often as she could. Helaena refused to speak about Aegon, or what she felt towards him. The answer to that question was painfully obvious, but nobody dared to speak of him. Although she was very young when she became a mother, Jaehaerys, Jaehaera and Maelor were the bright lights of her life. She would do anything for them.

"She is doing well," Daenys answered hesitantly. "Some days are harder than others. Children can be a handful, but she loves them deeply."

"Is that something you think about?" Jacaerys wondered, glancing at her from the corner of his eye to catch her reaction. "Children. Heirs."

The one-eyed boy will ruin your life, but you will have five children with him.

A sudden wave of dread punched her in the gut. That eerie voice pierced through her memory, making her flinch. Daenys hadn't thought about her in years, but the talk of children brought the old witch's prophecy back to the surface.

"Honestly? Not at the moment," Daenys admitted, brow furrowed. "There is plenty of time for that."

"I would like to become a father," Jacaerys stated, smiling at the thought of their sons and daughters running about the castle and causing mayhem. "But I agree with you. We have plenty of time."