𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

JACAERYS FOUND HIS BETROTHED ALL alone in the gardens of the Red Keep, underneath the shade of an apple tree

JACAERYS FOUND HIS BETROTHED ALL alone in the gardens of the Red Keep, underneath the shade of an apple tree. Although they were exactly the same age, born in the same year, he had never exchanged more than a few words of pleasantry with his aunt. Mayhap he had felt too intimidated by her to strike up a conversation.

"Princess Daenys," Jacaerys called, drawing her attention. "Do you mind if I join you?"

The Queen would have scolded her daughter if she displayed any resemblance of animosity, so Daenys didn't hesitate with her nod. "Please, join me."

A small grin appeared on his face. Jacaerys plopped down next to the girl and leaned against the tree. "I hope I am not disturbing your peace."

"Not at all, Prince Jacaerys."

"You can call me Jace," he conceded, his tone soft and gentle. Daenys felt heat creep into her cheeks. "My mother tells me we are to be wedded."

"Mine says the same," she said absently.

"Does that make you sad?" Jacaerys questioned, sounding genuinely concerned.

She paled, shaking her head. "No," she lied, attempting to smile. "Does it make you sad?"

Jacaerys drew up his knees towards his chest and enveloped them with his arms. "I feel sad, but it has nothing to do with our betrothal."

"Do you wish to talk about it?" she asked politely. "Helaena says I am a good listener."

"I..." Jacaerys trailed off, expelling a tired breath. "Ser Harwin Strong has been dismissed from the City Watch and sent back to Harrenhal."

Her eyebrows knitted together. "I am sorry to hear that. I understand Ser Harwin was quite fond of you, Prince Lucerys and Princess Rhaenyra."

Jacaerys clenched and unclenched his hands. His thoughts trailed back to Ser Criston Cole's insinuations regarding the knight's proximity to Rhaenyra's children. "I know you have heard the rumors. Everyone at court has heard them."

She sent him a mirthless smile. "Unfortunately, I am forced to listen to their absurdities. You are not the only one whose birth legitimacy has been called into question. There are... rumors about me."

"I know," the Velaryon Prince confessed, averting his gaze. "But I do not believe them, Daenys."

She didn't speak for a moment, worrying him. "Thank you, Jace. That means a lot to me."

Despite facing away from her, Jacaerys could feel her eyes on him. "Mother says we are going to move to Dragonstone," he announced, resting his chin in his hand. "But she also says I am supposed to court you, now that we are betrothed."

"Moving to Dragonstone makes it a bit more difficult, does it not?" she quipped in amusement.

"It does," Jacaerys concurred. "Though, perhaps it would be a good idea for us to exchange letters. That way, we will not be strangers the next time we meet, which could be a long time from now."