𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

"YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME

"YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME."

Aemond lifted his gaze from the history book he had been reading the entire afternoon, cocking an eyebrow at her. "What are you talking about?"

Daenys glanced around the royal library and plopped down at the table, facing him. "You could have told me about your betrothal to Lady Myra of House Lannister. We used to tell each other everything. I had to learn it from her."

"Hmm," Aemond mumbled, averting her gaze.

Daenys huffed in frustration. "Is that all you have to say to me? Hmm? Nothing else at all?"

Aemond rolled his eye. "What do you wish to hear from me, sister? That I am sorry?"

"I..." she trailed off, unable to find the proper words. "No, that is not what I want. I only wish you would have told me. Lady Myra is, in my opinion, a splendid woman. You will find marriage with her to be quite easy and effortless. She is lovely."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Aemond scoffed, shutting the book harshly. "I have spoken to Mother. She knows my opinion on the matter."

"What is your opinion on the matter?" she inquired carefully, attempting to remain neutral.

"Mother says I should at least try to court her," Aemond said, his tone bitter and indifferent. "I told her I am not interested. I refuse to marry Lady Myra, even if she is as splendid as you say."

"Well, I think House Lannister would be a great ally to our cause. Marriage would consolidate such alliances," Daenys uttered diplomatically.

"Hmm, if that is the case, why are you marrying Jacaerys?" Aemond questioned, genuinely curious. "In fact, you have not seen him in years. I dare say that you are not interested in him at all, because someone else withholds your attention."

"No one holds my attention but my betrothed," Daenys lied. "That is not the matter at hand. I do not know why you insist on bringing it up when we are talking about you and Lady Myra."

"There is no 'Lady Myra and I', because I do not intend to marry her," Aemond responded coldly.

"Why not?" Daenys asked with an accusatory voice. "You have always been the most dutiful son, the absolute favorite. You have always aimed to please Mother. What is the matter now?"

"Not this time. Not when it will radically change the course of my life," Aemond responded, more serious than she had ever heard him. "I do not want to become Lady Myra's husband."