A Friend

Nine year old Mavis came home after school like any regular day. Her Uncle was once again passed out, probably drunk, on the couch. The tv was playing some sort of loud inappropriate show.

  Mavis ignored it like usual and headed down the hall to her room. She walked through the open doorway, door long since removed by her Uncle. However, her bag along with her jaw go dropping. Her room was torn to shreds, her bed was off the bed frame, the mattress now stained with a dark yellow spot. Her clothes were ripped from her closet and out of her dresser.

  Her room didn't have much to offer, but everything she had was strewn across the floor. Tears fell from Mavis's face, her cheeks turned red from pure fury. She hated her Uncle, he always did fucked up shit like this. Why did he have to tear up the one place that was almost her own?

  Mavis felt a scream bubble up her throat, but even that, she wasn't allowed. If she woke her Uncle he'd just do the same to her as he did her room.

Trash it.

  Mavis awoke with a groan. She hates when memories come up in her dreams. She sighs as she sprawls out on the comfortable mattress. Her light blue duvet was the perfect thing to keep out the cold of a winters night. Her clock tells her it 6:36 am, and Mavis huffs. 'I'm awake this early on a Saturday...really.'

  Mavis sits up in her bed, she rubs her eyes gently and yawns. She readies herself for the day, showering and dressing before leaving her room. Downstairs in the kitchen was: Sang, North, Luke, and lastly Kota. The two actual brothers were making breakfast with Sang, while Kota sat at the table drinking coffee and reading.

"Morning Mavis." North was the first to notice her, causing everyone else to say something.

"Morning." She got a few laughs and head shakes at her dry response. Mavis pouts just barely and goes to join Kota at the table.

"You're up early." Mavis locks eyes with Kota, only now realizing he had foresty green eyes. They were dark but held compassion. 'Freaking puppies man..' She looks away as a steaming cup of something is placed in front of her. Mavis mumbles a thanks as North walks back to the stove silently.

She takes a moment to think on her answer and to sip at the unknown dark drink. A milky chocolate flavor hits her mouth and she quickly backs off at the temperature.

"Had a stupid dream." She doesn't catch the worried look North throws towards her at the statement. She does however see Kota's dark brown brows dip slightly.

"What was it about?" Ok so maybe she shouldn't have used the word stupid, cause that makes it seem like it can be talked about. Mavis knew the entire kitchen was listening in, but what harm would it do to tell them? 'As long as they don't make a big deal out of it.'

"Dreamt about the day my Uncle trashed my entire room." The only sound heard in the kitchen was the sizzling of whatever North was cooking.

"Are you ok?" Out of everyone in the kitchen, Mavis least expected Sang to be the one to ask anything. Sang was now sat to Mavis's right at the table, looking into her grey eyes with a tender expression. An expression that read, 'I know your pain.'

"Never been better." In which it was partially true. Mavis for the better part of her life was either afraid that one day, she'd find her mother dead in their home. Or she herself would end up dead by the negligence of her Uncle. Sang smiles happily at her and gently rests her small hand on Mavis's equally as small hand.

  Mavis swallows heavily and ignores the signs in her head telling her to lash out. These people didn't want to hurt her and they weren't going to. She just needed to remember that.