chapter four

CHAPTER FOUR

academic decathlon

academic decathlon

     "FUCKING Spider-Man?" Olivia chuckles, "You met Spider-Man and didn't like him?"

"It's not that I didn't like him!" Paisley exclaims in defense, "He was just... strange, I suppose... I mean, he knew my name."

"He knew who you were?" Olivia asks, "I guess that is weird."

Olivia knows exactly why he knew Paisley, but she's not going to tell Paisley that.

"...Uh, anyway," Olivia says, "You're still going to Washington, right? For the Academic Decathlon?"

"Yes," Paisley nods, "I still think it's odd that we signed the permission slips although we aren't on the team, but... I don't know, I suppose it'll be fun."

"I've never been to Washington," Olivia asks, "Have you?"

Paisley gives her a look, "I've only ever been to New York and Wisconsin. I'm not much of a traveler."

Olivia nods, "Ah, yes," Remembering she's a fairy, Olivia mutters: "Olivia gets trusted with all the secrets..."

"What was that?"

"What? Nothing."

•••

Peter is going to Washington after all, as it turns out, which nobody has a problem with except Flash.

Paisley has noticed these quick little glances and side conversations Olivia has been having with Ned and Peter, almost like they're all in on a secret of sorts.

And Paisley wants in.

•••

Peter is not there.

Peter isn't there for the Decathlon, so he's not there to see them win.

Michelle wins the Decathlon for them, answering the final question correctly.

All Ned and Olivia can think is... what has Peter gotten himself into?

"I told you we didn't need Peter!" Flash exclaims.

"Flash, you didn't answer a single question." Ned deadpans.

Olivia nudges Ned softly, "Peter called me, like, eight times."

Ned's ringtone goes off, as if on cue, and it's Peter.

P: Oh, Ned, you're alive!

N: Peter, are you okay?

P: Where's the glowy thing?

Olivia furrows her eyebrows, "What glowy thing?"

"Peter got one of the weapons from the bad guys and we found a cool purple glowy rock," Ned answers.

P: Where is the glowy thing?

N: Don't worry, it's safe, it's in my backpack.

P: No, Ned, it's dang--

N: You missed the Decathlon! We won!

P: Listen to me!

Liz takes the phone from Ned, "Peter?"

P: Oh, hey, Liz! Please put Ned back on the phone.

L: You flake, you are so lucky we won! I want to be mad, but I'm more worried. Like, what is going on with you?

P: Wait, there's something in Ned's bag--

But the call hangs up before Peter can finish.

Ned's bag, along with his phone, goes through the x-ray.

The students get into the elevator, and Ned's backpack begins to glow a familiar purple color.

Paisley furrows her eyebrows before the glowy thing explodes in Ned's bag, causing part of the Washington Monument to crumble, and the glass in the elevator to shatter.

Students begin to get lifted out of the elevator, as the tour guide proceeds to tell them everything will be okay.

"I don't think that was just a cool glowy rock anymore," Olivia breathes out.

Ned nods, "Definitely not."

While some people are safe, the elevator only drops down more, which makes it more difficult for people to get out.

Something must snap, because the elevator drops, leaving screaming students afraid, but something lifts it back up again.

Paisley looks at the all too familiar adhesive, which is, of course, a spiderweb.

Spider-Man lifts up the elevator as students make their way out, but Spider-Man's grip slips while only one girl remains in the elevator.

"Paisley!" Olivia yells, "Fuck! Why did we have to come to this goddamn nerd competition?"

Paisley screams, but Spider-Man grabs her hand.

Paisley's breathing is rapid, but slows down as Spider-Man speaks.

"You're okay," He assures, "You're fine. You're good."

Paisley is successfully lifted to safety, which is followed up by intense eye contact.

The moment is broken by Flash.

"Are you really friends with Peter Parker?"

A/N: r u rlly friends with peter parker