chapter twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

the greatest hero on earth

     HAVING a non-alcoholic beverage next to two of the most powerful people he's ever met isn't something Peter was expecting to do on his summer trip, but then again, nothing has gone according to plan.

"Fury was right," Peter sighs, "Tony did a lot for me. I owe it to him. To everybody."

"Do you?"

"Yeah."

"What do you want, Peter?" Erebus asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Huh?"

"What do you want?"

"What does that mean?"

"Peter Parker. What does he want?"

"I wanna go on my trip," Peter admits, "I want to go back on my trip, with my friends. And then I want to tell Paisley how I feel, and... I don't know, kiss her?"

"Oh," Quentin says.

"Shut up, man," Peter chuckles, shaking his head.

"And you're not gonna do that?"

"No, I'm not."

"Why?"

"Because I have too much responsibility," He tells himself.

A bartender passing by picks up a pair of glasses and hands them to Peter.

"Thank you," Peter says, "Holy shit, I just dropped these?"

"How do they look?" Erebus asks, "Try them
on."

Peter puts the glasses on, turning to the two sitting opposite him.

"Honestly?" Quentin sighs, "You look really stupid. Maybe there's a contact-lense version of them?"

"You try them on," Peter insists.

"No," Quentin scoffs, "Come on."

"Just put them on."

Quentin puts on the glasses, hesitantly, raising his eyebrows.

"Next Tony Stark, I trust you," Peter mutters to himself, "That's what Mr. Stark said. He left me a message with those glasses that said; 'For the next Tony Stark, I trust you.'"