Chapter 1: prologue

The grand Blight mansion loomed ominously against the darkened sky, its towering spires piercing the clouds. Inside, the atmosphere was vibrant and opulent, a stark contrast to the eerie exterior. The ballroom glittered with chandeliers and was filled with the laughter and chatter of the Boiling Isles' elite. Every wealthy family had been invited, their children dressed in their finest attire, mingling under the watchful eyes of their parents.

They stepped into the grand hall, and immediately, Odalia Blight approached them with a wide smile plastered on her face. Her husband, Alador, followed behind, looking less enthusiastic but equally imposing. Their children, Edric and Emira, twins a year younger than their sister Amity, were nearby, entertaining guests with their mischievous antics. Amity, however, stood apart, her eyes scanning the room with a mixture of curiosity and detachment.

Odalia: "General, its so nice you could arrive."

Odalia greeted warmly, her eyes flicking to Ray.

Odalia: "And this must be your son. Ray, is it? Amity, darling, come meet Ray. I'm sure you'll become great friends."

Amity approached reluctantly, her eyes betraying a hint of the pressure she felt.

Amity: "Hello.." she said politely, though her tone lacked enthusiasm.

Ray's father nudged him gently.

Father: "Go play with the other children, Ray. Enjoy yourself."

No he won't.

Ray nodded obediently and wandered off towards the edge of the room where the other children were playing. However, instead of joining them, he found a quiet corner to stand in, observing the festivities with a detached expression. As he stood alone, a girl with three eyes and a cocky grin approached him.

???: "Hey, you're the general's kid, right? I'm Boscha."

Ray: "Cool."

Boscha: "What's yours?"

Ray: =\

Boscha: "Not much of a talker, huh? That's fine, I already know your name."

Ray said nothing, his eyes drifting back to the other children who were laughing and playing together. He felt a familiar presence stir within him. His shadow, the oracle spirit, whispered dark thoughts, feeding on his discomfort. He shook his head slightly, trying to silence it, but the spirit's influence was always there, lurking just beneath the surface.

Boscha: "You know, my parents told me to make friends with important kids. And you're pretty important, aren't you?"

She tried to catch his eye, but Ray remained impassive.

Ray: "My father is important, I'm just... here."

Boscha's confidence wavered for a moment, but she quickly recovered.

Boscha: "Well, I think you're interesting. And it's always good to have friends in high places. So, what do you say? Want to be friends?"

Ray: "No need."

Boscha: "Everyone needs friends. Even you, mister 'I'm too cool to have friends.' Look, just because our parents want us to be friends doesn't mean we can't actually have fun."

Ray sighed inwardly, feeling the weight of the evening's expectations pressing down on him even more.

Ray: "I prefer being alone."

Shadow: 'You're never alone.'

Ray: 'Shush.'

Boscha: "Alone is boring, Come on, just give it a try. I promise I'm not as bad as I look."

Ray: "Maybe..."

Boscha: "Good enough for me. Catch you later."

As the night wore on, Ray found himself standing on a balcony, away from the noise and the stifling atmosphere of the ballroom. He stared into the darkness, feeling a strange sense of calm wash over him.