Chapter Twenty-One (Faith)

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

FAITH

After training, I decided I'd had enough. Before she could leave, I grabbed Artemis by her arm. She looked at me like I had five heads. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't have dared to touch her like that, but I was upset.

"Can we talk?" I asked. "Please?"

Artemis sighed. "I suppose we should," she admitted.

I relaxed slightly. That was progress. "Why are you avoiding me?" I asked. "Did I do something wrong?"

She softened slightly. "No, Faith," she replied. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"Then why can't you stand to even look at me?"

"Because it is painful, Faith!" She finally admitted. "It is incredibly painful. Tana was very dear to me. She was my closest friend."

"Well, I'm her, and I'm alive, so-"

"It is not that simple. Chaos murdered her, Faith. I tried to save her, but I was too late. She died in my arms, and all I could do was comfort her as she faded away and vow to avenge her. And now, millennia later, you come along, and you are exactly like her, and I..." She shook her head. "I cannot do this."

"You can do anything, Gorgeous."

"Stop that!" She snapped.

I hesitated, not sure what to do. "Artemis... Please don't shut me out," I said softly.

"I have to! Don't you understand, Faith? I have been tasked with protecting all of you. I must turn you into warriors before Altheos finds you and destroys you, and I cannot do that if I'm busy worrying about you and the fact that you may very well die again in the coming battle!" She took a deep breath and said, "I cannot lose her again, which means I cannot view you as her. You are Faith, my charge who was blessed by Prometheus, and that is all."

"You don't give me enough credit, Artemis," I said firmly. "I can take care of myself."

"That didn't save Tana. It may not save you, either."

"Screw that! You may not believe in me, Artemis, but I believe in myself, and I know I can do this! I'm not some damsel in distress that you need to protect! I'm a Goddess, too!"

She hesitated. "I do believe in you, Faith... More than you know."

"Then act like it! Stop trying to keep me at arm's length! We were best friends, right? We need to stick together."

"Faith-"

"Don't you dare tell me no, because-"

"Faith!"

"What?" I asked at her tone.

"Someone is lurking... We are not alone."

I tensed and looked around. At first, I didn't see anyone. Then, I heard the hissing. My eyes fell on a snake that was hiding in the grass behind Artemis.

"Artemis," I began cautiously. "Don't. Move."

She remained frozen in place. I felt a ball of fire forming in my hands. As soon as I was certain I had control of it, I shouted, "Dive right!"

Artemis dove to the right. I tossed the ball of fire at the snake. It quickly burned to ash.

I moved closer to Artemis and offered her my hand. Instead of taking it, she knocked me to the ground beside her and shoved a dagger through a second snake.