Chapter Twenty-Eight (Krissy)

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

KRISSY

I woke up with Eliza curled in my arms. After the others had returned to their bodies, we'd stayed asleep. Morpheus had allowed us to stay together, and we'd slept until after eleven in the morning. I think we both needed it.

She stirred, and for just a moment, she seemed okay. Then, it was clear she remembered what had happened. She looked at me sadly and asked, "It was real, wasn't it? My mom's dead and my dad..." She shook her head.

"It was real, Liz," I confirmed gently. "I'm so sorry."

"We should check in with Abby. You never sleep like this. She's probably worried."

I didn't call her on changing the subject. I understood why she needed to do it. Eliza was trying her hardest not to have a nervous breakdown. I wasn't about to shove her into one.

We walked down to the kitchen. Abby looked like she hadn't slept at all, but she put on a bright smile when she saw us.

"I'll make breakfast," she said before looking at the time. "Or lunch, if you prefer."

"Let's skip the middle man and order a pizza," I suggested.

"Pizza sounds great," Abby agreed. "Is that okay with you, Liz?"

"Of course," Eliza replied numbly.

"Why don't you girls sit down and relax? I'll call the pizza place now."

I led Eliza into the living room, figuring my aunt could handle ordering lunch unsupervised. After all, we had the pizza place on speed dial.

Eliza didn't say anything unless I asked her questions. Her replies were short, polite, and completely devoid of emotion. I'd never seen her so detached.

"Liz... If you need to talk, I'm here," I said.

"I know, Kris," she replied. "I just don't know what to say."

That seemed fair, considering everything that had happened. I decided to back off. If going on autopilot helped Eliza get through this, I figured I could allow it for a little while.

We were still in the living room when Abby let out a cry of horror. "Snake!" She shouted. "Snake in the house! Snake. In. The. House!"

Did I forget to mention that my aunt was terrified of snakes? Eliza and I ran toward the kitchen and saw the slithering creature that had cornered her.

Abby was holding a broom in front of her like it was her only lifeline. Maybe it would have been enough, except two more snakes came out of the walls. Abby shrieked and swatted the one closest to her away with the broom.

A dozen more snakes manifested out of thin air. "Liz, get her out of here," I said. "I'll handle this."

"I'm not going anywhere without both of you, Krissy," Abby said firmly. That was incredibly brave considering how terrified she was.

Just as the snakes tried to strike, a powerful gust of wind flew through the house. The snakes rose into the air in unison. With another powerful blast of air, they were flung out of the open window.

"Whoa..." I said. I looked at my best friend with an impressed grin. "Go, Liz!"

"I lost my parents last night," Eliza replied firmly. "We are not losing Abby, too."

"What...? How did they just...?" Abby tried to ask.

"I'll explain later!" I said as more snakes appeared. Since Abby had already seen Eliza use magic, I figured it wouldn't matter if I did the same. I sent a tidal wave at the latest swarm of snakes and blasted them out of the window, too.