Chapter Forty-Eight (Emily)

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

EMILY

Jenna and Ares were right to be concerned. As we started to focus on finding our way through the pocket realm inside of the church, we encountered an army of spirits. I don't mean a few spirits. This was the largest group of spirits we'd encountered so far, each with a red cord wrapped around them.

"He's close," Hades said. "Even I can't manifest and control this many spirits at once from a significant distance. He must be in this pocket realm with us, and he can probably see everything we're doing."

"Can you help us free them?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, no. Altheos has thought to block me specifically from breaking his hold on these souls. It will take me far more time than we have to undo that spell and assist you." He looked into my eyes, placed his hands on my shoulders, and said, "This is your fight, Emily. Those of us who are not part of Iridescence can only interfere so much. This is not our destiny, but yours. I will protect you as much as I can and lend you strength, but that's all I can do."

I nodded. "I'll take what I can get," I replied. I looked at Jake and added, "Let's do this."

"Emily, what can we do?" Jenna asked me.

"Stay together and try not to get killed," I replied. "Try to get past this room and find Eliza, Faith, and Artemis. We'll catch up."

Most of the others started making their way through the room of spirits. Hades and Hecate stayed with me and Jake. To my surprise, so did Morpheus.

"You will not fight them alone," he said stoically. "You're my daughter and I am staying with you."

I smiled at him. "Thanks," I replied, "but Vanessa and Lucky need you more."

"My instincts tell me I am meant to remain here, Emily. Your siblings will be alright. The next room is presently safe."

I couldn't argue as the spirits swarmed around us. Besides, it was kind of nice to suddenly have a father who actually cared enough to stand and fight with me. As Emily, I hadn't had that since my mother died. My dad hadn't always been as distant as he was now, but her death had changed him. I may not know what to do with a father, but Anastasia welcomed Morpheus's presence at my side. I had to admit that it comforted me, too.

I freed as many souls as I could, but more kept coming, attacking with a ferocity I hadn't expected. I felt Jake press his back against mine. We covered each other, slashing cords and sending the freed souls toward Hades and Hecate so they could guide them to the Underworld.

Our allies escaped from the room without an issue. The spirits couldn't go after them. I realized Altheos had specifically commanded them to stay in that room. That was actually a relief because it meant our friends were safe for the moment.

We were doing pretty well despite the massive number of souls present until one in particular came toward us. Jake froze as the spirit attacked him. I felt that happen and turned around to see what was wrong.

A woman who shared several of Jake's features was viciously attacking him, and he wasn't fighting back. She was stronger than some of the other souls, and as she wrapped her hands around Jake's throat, he visibly panicked but did nothing to defend himself. Hades was busy with crossing the freed souls over, and I knew I'd have to handle this myself. I had a feeling I knew exactly who this woman was.

I grabbed her and pulled her off of Jake. He sank to his knees as he tried to catch his breath as tears streamed down his cheeks. "I know who you are," I said harshly, "And I know what you did to him."