Chapter Eleven

We were ducked away in a shed, as safe as we could be for the moment. Kaz had emptied his pockets, placing everything he had on the table. A couple of Ravkan coins and bills, and not much else.

Inej was grimacing. 'Is this all we have left?' She groaned, clutching her side, taking a deep breath. 'Jesper, my bag.'

She pulled up her shirt to reveal a deep wound on her abdomen just as Jesper had turned around. He gagged, averting his eyes.

'Mother of Saints.'

I laughed as Inej lowered herself to the ground.

'It's not healing on its own,' Inej sighed. 'I need to stitch it.'

I threaded the needle, handing it to Inej.

'How long before you can travel?' Kaz asked.

Inej was quick to respond. 'Not long. Where?'

'Ketterdam.'

I snapped my head up to look at him, but he wouldn't meet my eyes. He kept his gaze down and I felt the last of my hope dwindling.

'Between our dwindling funds, lack of time, and conflicting interests, it's time we cut out losses.'

He moved to go outside, and I called after him. 'Kaz.'

He didn't stop.

'Kaz!'

He was gone.

Jesper scoffed. 'He can't be away from the Barrel too long, ya know? It makes him break out in hives.'

Inej gave me a questioning look handing me the needle. I smile and take it as I quickly thread it through her skin, closing up the wound. Jesper groaned, gagged, and turned his head.

Inej scoffed. 'You can watch a bullet tear through a man, but a needle's too much.'

'It... yeah, well, you see, bullets are bam, in and out. That's...just...ugh!'

I rolled my eyes as I give the needle back to Inej so she can finish it up, just like every other time. 'You, my darling, are a wimp.'

'Where'd you learn to do that?' Jesper asks Inej.

'When I was at the Menagerie.'

'Yeah, but why would you...oh. That's dark.'

'Which is why I can't go back.'

I stood up. 'You aren't going back, Inej. You know that.'

'What does that mean?' Jesper asks.

I looked at him and tried for a smile. 'If we get back, empty handed, Heleen gets me. Not Inej. Not the Crow Club. Me.'

'Kaz did that?' Jesper asked, his temper rising.

I shake my head. 'No, no. I did. I did it.'

Jesper sighed and I felt like I was watching his heart break. 'You aren't going there. Kaz would never let you... I would never... The Dregs are your family, Nat.'

'It'll be okay,' I say. 'We'll be okay.'

---

Later that night me and Inej were walking out to where Kaz was sitting by a fire. I sat down next to him while Inej stayed standing. She handed Kaz his now fixed cane.

'Jesper fixed your cane,' she mumbled at him.

He took it from her, bringing it close to him. He rested his hand on the Crows head. I noticed how he almost seemed more at ease with it, like it was another limb, in the same way that my sword was like another limb to me. And, Saints, did I miss my sword.