Chp 3 : The Break

-Shelley-

It is the 22nd of December, and since my unit is on a Christmas break, I have decided to take the opportunity to visit my folks.

What else do I need for this journey? I thought. I need to pack light. It is just for a few days.

I shut my suitcase after ensuring that it contained all of the necessities that I would need for this trip. "Where is my phone?" I tap my back pocket. "It is not here. I must locate it," I said to myself. I frantically go through my belongings in an attempt to locate my phone. Moving back and forth, I traverse the entire house, from the bedroom to the kitchen and even the bathroom.

"Urrr!" In what place is it?"

'Tring, Tring,' the phone rings. "Where could it be?" Upon retrieving the sheet from the bed, I discovered its presence.

You must be kidding me. I pick it up. "Hello! Who is this?"

"Good morning. Am I speaking to Miss Dickson?"

"Morning, and yes, you are. Who am I speaking to?"

"How have you been?"

"Fine," I replied.

'It's Adam.'

As soon as I heard his name, my jaw dropped, and my eyes widened in disbelief. "How on earth did you acquire my number? What have you been up to? And why are you calling me?"

All I could do was mumble anything that came to mind.

"It doesn't matter how I got your number, but I am glad I did. This past month has been challenging, and to answer your question about how I am doing, I would say that I am not doing well."

"I long to speak with you, but since you refused to give me your number, I couldn't do so, and please don't say I knew where you work. If I had shown up, you would have accused me of stalking you."

Sitting at the edge of my bed for the first time, I was speechless. "I am so sorry you had a rough month. I hope this month will be different."

"It will be if only you agree to meet me."

"You mean now?"

I would be happy if you could do so today, but if not, how about tomorrow?

"I am sorry, I cannot. I am traveling. As a matter of fact, I was on my way out when you called. I am going to visit my parents in my hometown."

"When will you be back?"

'On the 25th of this month.' She replies. "I cannot believe I am losing you again."He says.

Smirking, I reply, saying, "You say it as if you had me."

"Chuckling, funny Miss Dickson." 'Shelley,' call me 'Shelley,' please.

"I will do so if only you call me by my first name as well."

"I have to go, Mr. Have a good day."

It has been hours since I left home. I am so uncomfortable in this vehicle. Women gossiping, babies crying, children shouting, and the driver overspeeding.

It seems he has forgotten he is driving people, not animals, and did I leave the part where we kept hitting potholes? I just cannot wait to get out of this car.

The sad part is that I have an hour and 8 minutes more to go. I might as well buckle up. It's not going to be an easy ride.

***

After a long and exhausting ride, I am finally home. "Mom, Dad," as I announce my entry.

"Is that my daughter's voice? I am hearing." She smiles as she makes her way through the living room to meet me.