Chp 22 : The prying ear.

-Adam-

For a moment, I had the impression that she was going to strike me across the face as I went in for the kiss, but thankfully, she refrained from doing so. Why didn't she do so, or could it be that she is finally learning to trust me? "I doubt that," he thought, sighing. It will take more than a simple heating pad and a bowl of ginger chicken soup for her to trust me. 

Nevertheless, I am glad that I kissed her without hesitation. If her mere presence by the mall shelf could arouse my curiosity about getting to know her better, then I shudder at the thought of what her current kiss will accomplish for me. "I’m fucked." Memories of what transpired in Shelley's flat continue to resurface as Ben navigates the bend in the street leading to his flat.

The timing of the knock was perfect; I was in no mood to part with her just yet. I had planned to kiss her for a bit longer; maybe even earn a slap out of it. The very idea made him burst out laughing.

It baffles me that she could assume it was my lover contacting me just by looking at the caller ID, which shows the name My Love. With a sigh, he states, "I must be cautious not to let her down. She will never forgive me if I do anything that hurts her."

After he turned off the engine, he exited the vehicle. As he raised an eyebrow at the apartment block, he pondered, I suppose I can now contact my mom since I have some free time on my hands.

"So, Mr. Adam was here alone with you. How did that happen?" Mabel asks this of her friend as she sips her drink.

Shrugging her shoulders, she says "he came over when he heard that I wasn't well."

"Oh, is that so? At that moment, he must have been petrified."

Thus it appears. Shelley says.

"I see," she replies, her eyes narrowing as she turns to Shelley, "and you invited him inside. You have never risked being alone with a man before, yet I've known you since our college days. Therefore, why was Mr. Adam an exception? Someone you obviously have feelings for."

She replies, "You don't know Ben," while letting out a sigh. "No is not an option for him."

'That hasn't stopped you before.'

"I know." Looking away shyly, she replies, "He is different. I know it was stupefying of me to do that, but......" 

"Never mind, it won't happen again."

"Just so you know, I'm not arguing that you shouldn't get to know him. Although he seems like a nice guy who really values you, you should remain vigilant. If anyone, particularly Mr. McDreamy, were to harm you, it would break my heart." Shy says softly while gazing at her.

"McDreamy you say, really!" she laughs softly. "I doubt he will appreciate the name."

Ben concluded his business transactions with Mr. Vanderpuye and his company around a month ago. Still, he arranges to meet up with him. He hasn't replied to his offer yet; that much is certain. He has told him to think it over before making a decision, so why is he arranging to meet up while he's in the nation's capital? “Just what is he hoping to talk about with me?”

As soon as I walked into East End Bistro, I was shown to a table that had been set aside for two. With a drink in hand, Mr. Vanderpuye waits patiently by the table for my arrival. He notices me and rises courteously.

“With respect, Mr. Adam, You have my gratitude for accepting my invitation to dinner. Please take a seat.”

"I appreciate it, sir."

"What would you like to drink, Mr. Adam?" he inquires.

“Just a glass of red wine, please.”

"Please, waiter, provide this man with the finest red wine you’ve got."

"Sure, no problem Mr." The server humbly adds, "It's on its way, sir," before gracefully filing away from the table.

"Now, how are you doing, Mr. Adam?" I watch him take a sip of his sparkling wine before responding. "I am doing well."

"I am impressed. So, how's your mom doing?"

"Also, she has been quite good. My sincere appreciation for your inquiry."

He then inquires, "And the old man, how is he doing?"

He poses this respectfully, “Mr. Vanderpuye" while fidgeting in his chair. "I didn't think you wanted to check in with me regarding my parents' health when you called. Would you agree?”

"Forgive me," he says, clearing his throat. "I intended to start a conversation, but I'll cut to the chase since you seem interested in the reason I contacted you here." 

"I would greatly appreciate it if you could do me a favour, Mr. Adams." 

With a furrowed brow he inquires, "And what sort of favour are you asking, Mr. Vanderpuye?"

Clearing his throat he says, "Your long-standing childhood friendship with Miriam has just come to my attention. You are obviously very beloved by her, and she treats you as if you were her older sibling. If you could have a conversation with her and persuade her to accept my offer to collaborate, that would be great."

"I was considering hiring and teaching her so I could pass my business on to her when I retire early, but she flat-out refuses. Please do me the kindness of speaking with her on my behalf. I realise this is not your area of expertise, but I really need it."

"Excuse me, Mr. Vanderpuye, but I have a question for you. Was my familiarity with your daughter the deciding factor in your hiring me to represent you in legal matters pertaining to your company, or did my competence play a larger role?"

"Naturally, your skills were a major factor in my employment offer. However,." 

The moment the waiter arrived with the drink, he abruptly stopped speaking. After bringing the drink to the table, he steps away.

"To reiterate, I extended the job offer to you because of your qualifications; however, I did conduct a background check on you and learned that you are friends with my sister and daughter—a fact that was reinforced by her glowing recommendation."

'I see.'

"Please understand that I am unable to assist you in persuading Miriam to accept your proposal, given that you demonstrated zero interest in her upbringing. In what ways do you envision her future involvement in your life?"

"She is too beloved and respected by me to be subjected to such treatment. At some point, when she is prepared to work for you, I will back her up, but for the time being, I will just let her make her own decision and not get involved. That being said, I truly must depart immediately. I appreciate the beverage."

"I am dying!" Mr. Vanderpuye shouted as Ben got up to leave the table. "Only a few months remain until my death. My diagnosis is stage 4 chronic renal disease. Being my only child, you should understand that my motivation is only to protect her."

With Ben leaning forward he says, "Rather than keeping her in the dark about your illness, I think it will be best if you tell her since you are doing this for her sake."

"Telling her would be too difficult for me. The thought of her grieving the loss of another parent breaks my heart. I know you're thinking, Why don't I get a kidney transplant with all my money? Contrary to popular belief, I am opposed to the practice of organ transplantation. I'd like to perish. Dialysis has been a constant in my life, but I am completely over it. The possibility that I will soon join her mother in death is something I have come to terms with," he says.

"If you ever loved your daughter, respect her decision and be honest with her about your condition. Allow her the freedom to choose her own emotions, rather than dictating them to her. She has outgrown her childhood. She's a mature woman now."

“Please have a pleasant day.” He then departed from the eatery, leaving Mr. Vanderpuye seated there alone.