Chp 23 : Caught between a rock and a hard place.

-Adam-

As Ben stands in his living room with his arms stretched over his head as he yawns, and ponders. That one hell of a sleep I have had since I got here. He moved to his phone to play the messages left on his answering machine.

A message from his father on the answering machine caused him to furrow his brow as he listened to the messages. Without pausing to hear it, he pressed the delete button. As he makes his way to the kitchen, he reaches into the fridge and grabs a drink.

He pours himself an orange juice as he prepares to toast some bread alongside it. With the toast on, he moves to the coffee table to retrieve his phone. Placing a call, he waits patiently for an answer.

"Hello Shelley. I learned you reported to work today. How are you feeling now?"

"Yes, I did. I am much better compared to the last time we met."

"Ow yeah. I believe a lot of it has to do with the ginger chicken soup I prepared for you. I guess it was a good thing I came over when I did."

Shelley can't help but cringe at the sly tone of that remark. "Alright, I'll confess that it did help a lot," I remark while laughing.

Hearing him laugh on the phone, I couldn't help but grin. He certainly enjoys receiving affirmation when he is right.

"I am really glad you are feeling better. If you ever need me, I am always available for you. Never think of it as a hassle."

"I appreciate the offer, but I'm perfectly capable of handling my own needs. There is no need to be concerned."

Chuckling he says, "I still stand by my offer, even though I know you can handle yourself. In any case, are you occupied at the moment?"

"'No.' Is there an issue?"

"No way! I merely desire your opinion regarding an issue."

"Sure! You have my attention."

Ben tells her about the incident that occurred between him and Miriam's dad the day he left her apartment. "Do you think I made the right call, and do you think I should inform Mirriam about our meet-up?"

"I plan on throwing her a welcome home party at my flat this weekend since she is being discharged from the hospital, and if that is to come on, I don't think I can avoid keeping her in the dark about this."

Shelley took a long pause as she contemplated what she had heard from him. "I believe it was a prudent choice for you to remain impartial in a decision between a father and daughter."

"You were right in leaving it to both of them to figure it out among themselves and also letting him know where you stand when it comes to Miriam, which in this case is behind her daughter's decision. This will let him know that, in the near future, you will always be supportive of Miriam."

"As to whether to tell Miriam about her father asking you to convince her to decide on her coming to work for him, well, considering how close you two are, you can tell her, but you have to leave out the part involving her father being sick. That, I believe, should come from the father."

"He's got to tell her about his illness, not you."

"Do you believe so, Shelley?" asks Ben. "I mean, if it were you, wouldn't you have preferred your friend telling you about your father's condition if he knew of it?"

"Well, yes, I would prefer he tell me about it, but then again, I will understand if he does not, considering the compromising situation he finds himself in."

"Regardless of the decision you make on this matter, someone will undoubtedly suffer harm. The question is, 'Who will?' Will her father feel hurt upon learning that you informed her daughter about his condition, even though he wishes to keep it from her, or will Miriam suffer as a result of you not telling her?"